2012 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS REPORTS

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Kearsarge, JMT

Post by quentinc »

May 26th-28th

Route taken:

Onion Valley to JMT, to just below Glen Pass.

I intended to go to 60 Lakes Basin, but instead reversed course on JMT, to just below Forester Pass.

Back via Bullfrog Lake, explored lake above Kearsarge Lakes

Difficult section encountered:
Saturday - snow! PCTers were going over Glen Pass on the 27th, but I figured I could just come back next week, and then hit 60 Lakes Basin. Two large snow fields before Forester Pass, which I also passed. Several PCTers had come over though.

Special equipment needed/used:

Microspikes would be helpful for either Glen or Forester. I'm sure a lot of the snow is melted by now.

Possible alternative routes:

Chicken out and don't do either Glen or Forester Pass. :)
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2012 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS REPORTS

Post by cgundersen »

connorp & quentin,
Connor:Thanks for the photos; they're the best indication yet of conditions up there and you apparently got out just in time to miss the late snow that Q got! Bet the hot springs were welcome!
Quentin: Any bugs or did the snow force 'em to break out the heavy clothing?
cg
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

CG: nope, not even in Vidette Meadows. Any day now, though...
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

cgundersen wrote:Hi Kathy,
Great shots of the Taboose/Striped Mtn, but one question: your post says 4-11-4/12 and your gallery is dated May. I'm presuming it was May, since you had the Birch Lake report from late April. Correct?
Thanks,
cg

Yes, correct - Good catch - I made the edit to the post. Time just flies.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Kathy,
Great; your photos helped convince me to head up Taboose next week. Relative to last year, the low snow should make a huge difference for what is accessible.
Thanks,
cg
David and Karen
Topix Acquainted

Post by David and Karen »

Not my trip report but I came across this helpful series of photos taken of the Rae Lakes Loop last weekend.

Karen's Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48937858@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zenfolio site: http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
connorpjack
Topix Newbie

Post by connorpjack »

cgundersen wrote:connorp & quentin,
Connor:Thanks for the photos; they're the best indication yet of conditions up there and you apparently got out just in time to miss the late snow that Q got! Bet the hot springs were welcome!
Quentin: Any bugs or did the snow force 'em to break out the heavy clothing?
cg
Nope... snow got us haha. Which was quite a bummer. Bit more info here: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... #Post24572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Sorthern Yosemite Loop 5/22 - 6/1

Post by oldranger »

Southern Yosemite- Chiquito TH to Buena Vista Lake, Hoover Lake, over Buena Vista Crest down to Morain Meadows up to Breeze Lake, across to Chain Lakes, out to Chiquito TH today. A few trees down, creek and river crossings easy, most snow was in thick forest on n. slope between moraine Meadow and Breeze. Still easy to follow the trail. No apparent snow on w. side of Fernadez pass. May 22-June 1 good weather except for a bit of snow on Friday and Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

TR to come.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
landESCAPE
Topix Novice

Bishop Pass - Dusy Basin | 6.01.2012-6.03.2012

Post by landESCAPE »

Route taken:
South Lake --> Bishop Pass --> summit of Mt. Agassiz --> upper and lower Dusy Basin --> South Lake

Difficult section encountered:
Almost no snow at all. And this pass is nearly 12000' and north facing!
There were just a few small snow patches along the trail, none of which were over ~100 feet long. Only one small patch was on the actual switchbacks to the pass, and there were some footprints in it but it was also easily avoidable. A few snow patches on Agassiz made the basic class 2 east face route a little trickier...I had to make a few class 3 moves to get around them...but it still wasn't too bad. (Climbing down in the dark, on the other hand, was a little more interesting...)
I could see Muir Pass from Dusy Basin and there was still a significant amount of snow left on it, though it looked passable. I was several miles away though so don't quote me, though ;)
Bishop and Saddlerock Lakes had a little floating ice in them on June 1, but it was all gone two days later. Dusy lakes still had some (see attached photo) but it was melting fast and will probably be gone in a week.

Special equipment needed/used:
None. I brought microspikes but all they did was help balance the pack.
I did use trekking poles, but I always use trekking poles...so no problem. :)

Possible alternative routes:
Pretty much anything...it's all open!
Thunderbolt Pass, Knapsack Pass...all looked clear.
Perfect time to be out there...hurry before the mosquitoes come and get you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Jeff

landscape artist | http://www.landESCAPEvisuals.com
co-founder and CEO, #escaype, weather service for photographers, | http://www.escaype.com
Xosob
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cirque Peak 6/6/12

Post by Xosob »

Route taken: Horseshoe Meadows - Cottonwood Pass - SW slope of Cirque Peak - Cottonwood Pass - Horseshoe Meadows

Difficult section encountered: None other than tediousness of sand, which might be a result of going from sea level to summit in ~30 hrs

Special equipment needed/used: None (no trekking poles brought) -- weather was warmer than predicted by NWS, barely a breeze, no insects at all throughout route

Possible alternative routes: None considered