2012 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS REPORTS

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kibbie Ridge/Eleanor/Hetch Hetchy

Post by AlmostThere »

Route taken: From Shingle Springs TH into the park, up to Kibbie Lake, down to Eleanor Lake, dayhike over to an overlook of Hetch Hetchy, back to trailhead.

Difficult section encountered: There are deadfalls but none that are impossible to work around or over.

Special equipment needed/used: None

Fish caught: rainbows out of Eleanor, one silver phase.

Permits checked: wilderness and fishing.

Bears sited: none, but there is a warning for White 90 (at Eleanor) who steals empty backpacks and sneaks up on unattended food.

Weather: snow was 1-2 inches deep on the trail around Kibbie but was slushy and melting even while more was lightly falling on Saturday.
connorpjack
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

5/20-5/27 High Sierra Trail (Crescent Meadows to Mt. Whitney

Post by connorpjack »

Route taken: High Sierra Trail

Difficult section encountered: Kaweah Gap on May 22nd, ~1 ft. snow above lower Precipice Lake, ~2 ft. above upper Precipice Lake. Snowshoes needed if you don't want to scramble the rocky bits.

JMT on Whitney is clear except for some icy patches. Microspikes recommended.

Special equipment needed/used: Snowshoes needed, Kahtoola Microspikes used

Possible alternative routes: Scramble the scree west of the trail. Pretty gnarly though.

Photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 3174594591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Wolverton - Tablelands 5/26 - 5/28

Post by norcalhiker »

May 26th-28th

Route taken:

Wolverton to Tablelands in Sequoia NP via Pear Lake. Got up to the Kings-Kaweah Divide. Attempted to cross country to Elizabeth Pass trail but clouds came in and I couldn't find the route in ~30ft visibility. Retreated the way I came.

Difficult section encountered:

None. Snow was rare on the trail to Pear Lake (not a problem). Cross country up to the Tablelands was virtually snow free (shaded aspects still had snow but were easy to avoid). Upper Tablelands and the divide is about 60% well consolidated snow with no postholing.

Fresh snow fell on Friday-Saturday (6 inches). I set trail in it to Pear Lake. It was all melted by late Sunday.

Special equipment needed/used:

None. I brought crampons and ice axe for the traverse. Didn't use them.

Possible alternative routes:

None needed.
juscro
Topix Novice

Tioga Rd - Upper Cathedral Lake May 26-27

Post by juscro »

Route Taken: Standard trail up to upper cathedral lake

Light flurries and 4-6 inches of fresh snow on trail saturday afternoon. Upper cathedral 2/3 frozen. Dipped into the high teens through the night. Weather resulted in having the entire lake to myself on the saturday of a holiday weekend. Same light snow coverage up and over saddle down budd creek drainage with a few drifts encountered.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Kearsarge, JMT

Post by quentinc »

May 26th-28th

Route taken:

Onion Valley to JMT, to just below Glen Pass.

I intended to go to 60 Lakes Basin, but instead reversed course on JMT, to just below Forester Pass.

Back via Bullfrog Lake, explored lake above Kearsarge Lakes

Difficult section encountered:
Saturday - snow! PCTers were going over Glen Pass on the 27th, but I figured I could just come back next week, and then hit 60 Lakes Basin. Two large snow fields before Forester Pass, which I also passed. Several PCTers had come over though.

Special equipment needed/used:

Microspikes would be helpful for either Glen or Forester. I'm sure a lot of the snow is melted by now.

Possible alternative routes:

Chicken out and don't do either Glen or Forester Pass. :)
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2012 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS REPORTS

Post by cgundersen »

connorp & quentin,
Connor:Thanks for the photos; they're the best indication yet of conditions up there and you apparently got out just in time to miss the late snow that Q got! Bet the hot springs were welcome!
Quentin: Any bugs or did the snow force 'em to break out the heavy clothing?
cg
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

CG: nope, not even in Vidette Meadows. Any day now, though...
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

cgundersen wrote:Hi Kathy,
Great shots of the Taboose/Striped Mtn, but one question: your post says 4-11-4/12 and your gallery is dated May. I'm presuming it was May, since you had the Birch Lake report from late April. Correct?
Thanks,
cg

Yes, correct - Good catch - I made the edit to the post. Time just flies.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Kathy,
Great; your photos helped convince me to head up Taboose next week. Relative to last year, the low snow should make a huge difference for what is accessible.
Thanks,
cg
David and Karen
Topix Acquainted

Post by David and Karen »

Not my trip report but I came across this helpful series of photos taken of the Rae Lakes Loop last weekend.

Karen's Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48937858@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zenfolio site: http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;