2012 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dusy Basin 6/16-6/17

Post by schmalz »

June 16-17: South Lake > Dusy Basin

Bugs were hardly present on the east side of Bishop Pass. I only hiked through there in the middle of the day, but I'd say 1.

It's amazing how much things can change when you go over a pass. Dusy Basin was a solid 4. They were swarming me constantly in the afternoon as I hiked around. It was kinda brutal. Good thing I had full coverage to protect me.

How long does the peak period normally last? I'm heading out for a 5 day trip in 2 weeks and I was originally planning the Pioneer Basin area but now I'm having second thoughts and am wondering where the bugs might be thinned out around then.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Lamarck-Evolution-Wanda 6/15-6/18

Post by quentinc »

June 16 - 18:

Lamarck Lakes area -- 3+ [and just last week, someone reported 0!]

Evolution Lake -- 2

Wanda Lake -- 1
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Taboose-Upper-Amph-Dumbbell Basin 6/6-6/17

Post by cgundersen »

Entering via Taboose Pass on June 6th and exiting on the 17th, we went through Upper Basin, Amphitheater Lake basin, Dumbell Lakes, Lake 10565 (below Observation Peak) Marion Lakes Basin and back to Upper Basin before exiting. The tally for that period:
Taboose trail (and all the way to the JMT): 0
Upper Basin: 0.5
Amphitheater: 1
Dumbell: 2
Lake 10565: 4
Marion Lakes basin: 5 (but, directly below Vennacher col they were not bad).
cg

PS: Schmalz regarding how long the bugs will last: figure on 4-5 weeks in most places. I'd guess you'll get nailed in Pioneer. If you can wait till late July or August, it'll be OK.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports

Post by schmalz »

cg - Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have much flexibility with time off and august is off limits this year. I'm going out for 5 days for the first week of July no matter what, just have to figure out what the best plan is. It seems like stuff around 8-9k isn't getting too many bugs this year, so that is something I'll have to consider.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Wind helps. Check to NWS forecast and pick a place with high winds. Elevations alone are not very predictive of mosquito problems. Also pick a dry area (less grass and meadows) - east and south drier than north and west. I would avoid most of Yosemite and north. Pioneer Basin could be fine if the forecast is for wind.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Thanks for the advice. Very appreciated.

My reasoning for low elevation being a factor is that I don't think that lower elevations retained much snow this year, so there won't really be any standing water from snowmelt down below 9k. I might be totally off on this.
tomba
Topix Regular

Blue-Sailor-Midnight Lakes 6/16-6/18

Post by tomba »

June 16-18 Lake Sabrina basin - lakes: Blue, Baboon, Donkey, Emerald, Dingleberry, Sailor, Moonlight, Hungry Packer, Midnight, Topsy Turvy, Pee Wee. Mosquitoes started at 10200' and were at 2-3 most of the time. Not just near Dingleberry Lk. as reported a week earlier. Monday was windy and it has improved - often none were found.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
badfishgood
Topix Novice

Silver Lake-Waugh Lake 6/19-6/20

Post by badfishgood »

This needs to be updated. Just wrapped up a trip from Silver Lake> Clark Lakes > Waugh Lake> Out Rush Creek to Silver Lake. Two nights. In camp and while stopping for water along the trail the mosquito levels were a solid 4. It was brutal. Be prepared!!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Green Lakes-Tuolumne-Hetchy 6/21-6/24

Post by wildhiker »

June 21-22 - Green Lakes area Hoover Wilderness - mosquitoes annoying in sheltered areas from 9000 to 9500 feet elevation - probably a 3. But the wind was blowing gale force most areas which knocked them down to a zero (but wind chill was a pain).

June 23 - Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite NP @ 8600 feet elevation - no mosquitoes at all under breezy conditions.

June 24 - Hetch Hetchy Valley, Yosemite NP @ 4000 feet elevation - no mosquitoes, even in calm areas at dusk.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Mott Lake-Mono Creek-Blue Jay 6/22-6/26

Post by Troutdog 59 »

June 22 - 26, Lake Edison up the North Fork of Mono Creek to Mott Lake.

0 at the Edison Ferry TH both at the start and at the end (but wind was howling yesterday on the way back)

0 to 2 while hiking Mono Creek with Pocket Meadow increasing to about a 3.

0 - 1 at Mott and Blue Jay lakes.

Used 30% deet at Pocket Meadow as we stoped and fished, ut no need for head nets on this one. Winds came up each day (fairly strong too) and that seemed to keep the winged demons at bay.

A big improvement over my 6/9 trip to Nelson Lake.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead