2012 Mosquito Reports | High Sierra Topix  

2012 Mosquito Reports

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Virgnia Lakes-Gaylor Lakes 5/26-5/27

Postby Jason » Wed May 30, 2012 11:17 am

Virginia Lakes Area - 0
Gaylor Lakes Area - 0

Visited both over Memorial Day Weekend and didn't see a single mosquito. No bites either. Of course, the snow and cold weather could have had something to do with it.

Jason
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Kibbie Lake-NW Yosemite 5/26-5/28

Postby tomba » Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Kibbie Lake (NW Yosemite) on Memorial Day Weekend, from Shingle Springs TH, through Bartlett Creek between Many Island Lake and Spotted Fawn Lake, then Flora Lake, and back. Mosquitoes at 0 everywhere (it was snowing on the first day though), except 1-2 on the last day at the wet area between Kibbie Ridge and Kibbie Lake.

BTW, all creeks were easy to cross.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
tomba
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

White Wolf-Glen Aulin 5/26-5/28

Postby DoyleWDonehoo » Thu May 31, 2012 9:05 am

Yeah, last week up till the snowstorm in the White Wolf and Glen Aulen regions, just a few "snow mosquitoes" (big aggressive but wary buggers) here and there, mainly in wet, swampy or pond areas. Not really a problem.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Chain Lakes- Southern Yosemite 5/24-5/31

Postby oldranger » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Just out from s. Yosemite. Skeeters just strarting at Middle Chain. Got worse as we got lower, probably about a 4. Used Deet about 2 miles down the trail. Then gnats became the issue. Markskor said he kept swallowing them. I told him he should keep his mouth shut!

TR to follow next week.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Kibbie Lake 6/2

Postby no2haven » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Kibbie Lake 6/2/12: 3 - very light during the day, voracious and swarming just after dusk. Not bad the next morning, however. DEET was no deterrent - retreated to the tent for dinner.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Horse Meadows 6/3

Postby BrianF » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 am

Starting to come out in the Horseshoe Meadows area. About a 2 Sunday morning around swampy meadow areas
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Dusy Basin 6/1-6/3

Postby landESCAPE » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm

My first official post here!! :)
(I've been reading these forums for way too long without posting...it's about time I did!)

Just came back (6/1-6/3) from Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin to the point where the trail drops down into Le Conte Canyon. Visited every lake in the basin. There were basically no mosquitoes anywhere -- even in the swampy areas and even at sunset! There were a few hiding in the trees at the lower elevations, but no DEET necessary. So I'll give it a 0.

Judging from the progression of all these other reports, it looks like they'll be out in full force soon...so might want to hurry!!
- Jeff

landscape photographer | http://www.landESCAPEphotography.com

co-founder and CEO, #escaype (the world's first weather service for photographers) | http://www.escaype.com
landESCAPE
Topix Novice

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports

Postby maverick » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Welcome aboard LandESCAPE! Looking forward to reading your future posts!
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Horseshoe Meadows 6/6

Postby Xosob » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Horseshoe Meadows - 0

Did see some dragon flies, however.
Xosob
Topix Acquainted

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports

Postby no2haven » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 am

Anyone been been in the Emmigrant since Monday's cold snap? Or am I going to be adding to the Mosquito Trip from Hell thread this weekend... :D
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Miter Basin-New Army Pass 6/4-6/8

Postby Talimon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Cottonwood pass, soldier lake, miter basin, new army pass, cottonwood lakes area. Monday 6/4 - Friday 6/8.

Basically 0 everywhere. Around soldier lake I did spot a couple at one point, but they weren't biting. That said, all the meadows are quite swampy, so I attribute this poor skeeter showing primarily to high winds that were prevalent throughout the area, and Monday's "storm". It did get below freezing at night, which may also be contributing. I don't expect the good luck to continue much beyond the next few days. That said, there is shockingly little snow to be seen, so I would guess the skeeter season won't be a long one this year.
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Maxson Meadow-Red Mtn Basin 6/8-6/10

Postby Ska-T » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 am

Maxson Meadows to Red Mtn Basin
June 8, 9, 10

Almost anywhere near water = 4
Elsewhere = 3 and if lucky, 2

Typical of the bad areas were Post Corral Meadows and Fleming Lake. Up high was better, such as Hell for Sure Lake, Arctic Lake, and Horseshoe Lake. That said, the two of us wore long sleeved shirts, long pants, and floppy hats. We judiciously choose our camping and eating spots (when we could) and only suffered one bite each. The cold nights (30 to 32F) disabled the skeeters and no tent was necessary (or carried for that matter).
Ska-T
Topix Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Conditions Reports and Information