2012 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports

Post by quentinc »

Daisy, thanks for that info. I had no idea there were multiple species of mosquitoes, each with its own specialty! (Sort of like doctors.)
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Horton Lake 6/9-6/10

Post by orbitor »

June 9-10, Horton Lake: 1

Only a few isolated buggers at our camp about 100 ft from the lake. Temps at night down into the lower 30s, so not warm enough yet for most.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Q wrote:
I had no idea there were multiple species of mosquitoes, each with its own specialty!
Here you go Q: http://www.mosquitoes.org/Aedes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Well, I'm glad to know that at least one species are "reluctant blood feeders." I suspect they get a lot of encouragement from their peers, however.
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Post by BuckSnort »

quentinc wrote:Daisy, thanks for that info. I had no idea there were multiple species of mosquitoes, each with its own specialty! (Sort of like doctors.)

Actually they closer resemble lawyers... :D
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Grand Canyon Tuolumne 6/8-6/10

Post by norcalhiker »

Mozies last weekend were rare in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. Only one spot had a moderate number and our campsite in Pate was mosquito free. rating: 0

In Reds Meadow they were moderate to heavy from 8-9am and 4-5pm around the campgrounds and area trails. rating:1-2
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Wonder Lakes-Lower Lamarck 6/7-6/10

Post by hikerdmb »

June 7-10, 2012 trip into the Wonder Lakes above Lower Lamarck Lake. No mosquitos all 4 days.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Yosemite Valley 6/2-6/9

Post by hikerchick395 »

Had a few mosquitos in Yosemite Valley...tiny...few trying to bite. Week of June 2-9

June 14...some biting mosquitos at the junction of Treasure Lakes and Bishop Pass trails. By far...the largest and peskiest mosquitos I have endountered this year are at the trailhead parking at South Lake.
mesoavnhorny
Topix Newbie

Upper Pine-Honeymoon Lakes 6/13-6/15

Post by mesoavnhorny »

Just spent a few nights at Upper Pine Lake and Honeymoon Lake. I would rate the mosquitoes a 2, with crazy swarms at dusk. When we first arrived at Upper Pine Lake, there were virtually no mosquitoes. Within about 12 hours, they were pretty vicious.

Does anyone have any experience using anything like lemongrass granules or mosquito coils to try to keep the bugs at bay within a campsite?

It's nice to be on this site!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Matlock Lakes 6/15-6/17

Post by sparky »

Matlock lakes area and kearsarge lakes area this weekend june 15-17 there were quite a few mosquitos buzzing about (swarms but not thick) but none of them biting. I have never seen anything like it. No headnet or deet needed yet! Dont know how long this will last