2012 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
smaretti9
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Wrights Lake to Lake Schmidell - Desolation Wilderness

Post by smaretti9 »

Mosquitos were rampant throughout Rockbound trail. Mostly by the lakes, streams and marshes but there were still some to be found even in the drier areas. Our trip was mostly relegated to being stuck in the tent. I would give this area a 5. Hoping this is something that will dissipate as the season goes on.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Green Creek -East Lake - Virginia Pass Loop 7-5-12

Post by overheadx2 »

Skeeters never more than 2 and only in swampy areas. Camped at East lake - .5 to 1 with light breeze. Able to lay around after swimming without bug spray. Return creek the same. West lake and Virginia pass area had slightly more, but no more than a 2 at the worst spots.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports

Post by maverick »

Hi Sparrowhawk and Smaretti9,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for taking the time to post a report and hope the two
of you will continue to contribute in the future.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports - North Fork, Trinity Alps, 7/2-7/5

Post by bheiser1 »

I'm not sure this is of interest here as it's not the Sierra, but I'll take the chance it may be.

I spent 3 nights in the Trinity Alps (North Fork area - west of the high peaks) this past week. Most of the trip ranged from 3,000-5,000 ft elevation, with a couple parts up around 6,000. At the lower elevations the 'skeeters ranged from 0 - 1, maybe a 2 in a couple spots near water. They were a 2 while hiking higher up through Grizzly Meadow in the early evening.

There were some other flies around during the day throughout the region ... I'd say about a 1, sometimes slightly more.

There was an extremely persistent and angry hornet (well a large bee of some type) by the campsite at the top of the ridge near "Bob's Farm". Fortunately I wasn't planning to camp there, and this guy hastened my departure from that spot, as he clearly wasn't pleased by my presence.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Shepard Pass, Mt. Williamson 7/7 - 7/8

Post by quentinc »

Hardly any, anywhere along the way.
Crawler
Topix Acquainted

Monache Meadows 7/1-7/2

Post by Crawler »

I was in Monache meadows Sunday and Monday night July 1-2 2012. Nearly no skeeters to mention. Also ended up below lake Sabrina out of Bishop for a night and again nearly no skeeters to mention. I will be between bishop and big pine next weekend and will report back on skeeters. Hopefully I will have the same results as last week.
David and Karen
Topix Acquainted

Ediza Lake 7/10

Post by David and Karen »

Hot off the press!

Bugs bad at Ediza Lake tonight!
Karen's Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48937858@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zenfolio site: http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
exodus
Topix Acquainted

Little Lakes Valley - 7/5

Post by exodus »

During the day - 0 to 1.
At dusk - 1 - 2.

It's definitely better this year than last year.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tuolumne Meadows/Young Lakes/Mt Conness July 6-8

Post by bbayley80 »

overall a 2
hardly any on the hike out of the Meadows.
started getting hit after arriving at lower Young Lake. just a bit annoying throughout the day-few biting- a bit worse at dawn and dusk. large non-biting swarms..pretty strange.
just used Eucalyptus spray, no Deet.

hike to higher two lakes saw few-second lake seemed to have less than first lake- a bit more at third lake. hardly any as we climbed up over 12000+

nice breeze over the weekend helped out.
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

July 7-12 Mosquito Report Kearsarge/Rae Lakes

Post by Silverfox »

Trip out of Onion Valley, mosquitos almost non-existent
7/7 Flower Lake 0-1 a few mosquitos at dawn and dusk
7/8 Charlotte Lake 0-1 none during day a few at dawn and dusk
7/9 Rae Lakes 0-1 same as above
7/10 Sixty Lakes Basin - 0-1 first time I used any deet and only needed in small stretch from upper lakes to lower lakes along the creek
7/11 Kearsarge Lakes 0-1 a few at dusk

Great time, mosquitos were a non-issue.

Silverfox