2012 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: 2012 Mosquito Reports

Post by lostcoyote »

wow, you sure did crank through that early weekend trip!
any pictures?
(we had a great time at reflection and above - not too many skeeters in this area - as the skeeter season has indeed ended.)
Last edited by lostcoyote on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Graveyard Lakes- Olive Lake-Peter Panda Lake 7/21-7/29

Post by SSSdave »

We backpacked 9 days July 21>29 from TA Edison reservoir thru Graveyard Lakes over Silver Fox pass into a loop of the big lakes of the Minnow Creek headwaters where we semi base camped 4 days. I always wore blue jeans, a zippered front nylon shell and no undershirt, and hat with large neck and ear drape. With huge 65 pound carrying weights and big packs, while on route we stop alot and are never in a hurry.

We nighthiked for 2 hours from the trailhead 2.2 miles to 8100 feet that does go through a drying marshy zone. No mosquitoes even while near naked setting up our tents. 1

First morning made our way up Cold Creek through Graveyard Meadows up the heavily forested stream canyon. We applied 100% DEET to our face, wrists, and hands at the bottom of the meadow. 2

We could see a few squeets at every boulder and log we stopped at. Never was bit all morning while squeets as usual were content to land atop our hats and crawl about poking their organic drill bits into the hats frustratingly. Two backpackers passed us wearing head nets they related were somewhat humidly sweaty unpleasant inside and said they don't use DEET. 2

At lower Graveyard Lake we never applied DEET even after jumping in the lake. There were a few buzzing about at times and one or two did bite my hands. Most I squished. 2

At upper Graveyard Lake 2b, never used DEET, often layed about near nekid. 1 or 2

Olive Lake lakeside, a few turfy marshy shady areas 3. Just short distances away in granite areas even along the shore. 2 we never bothered applying DEET and I was bushwhacked two or three times all day.

Anne Lake plateau 2 days. Never applied DEET. 1 or 2
Peter Pande Lake. Creek from East Maryland and meadow below 3. Other areas they were scarce. Squeets seem to stay in the moist areas just like at Olive Lake even late in day. Never applied DEET. 1 or 2.

Mosquitoes this dry summer of 2012 mid to late July was about like mid to late August of usual summers. Was probably bit less than a dozen times all week that is of course trivial. And almost all those that did bite were quickly squashed.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lake Mary-Suck Lake-Purple Lake 8/2-8/5

Post by kpeter »

August 2-5
Lake Mary to Duck Pass, Duck Lake and Pika Lake--0
Purple Lake--1. A few in the meadows above Purple Lake on the Ram Lake trail.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Lake Sabrina - Sailor Lake, Aug 4-5

Post by no2haven »

Aug 4-5:
Lake Sabrina - Blue Lake: 4
Dingleberry - Sailor - Hungry Packer Lake: 3

....total mosquitoes :D. Got to love finding more pack llamas than blood sucking insects. It is looking good up there.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Dusy Basin Trail at 10,000 feet - 1
All of Ionian Basin - 0
Goddard Canyon - 1
Hester Lake - 0
Ladder Lake - 0
Palisade Basin - 0
Basin between Potluck and Cirque - 0

I guess to name a few.
wl1193
Topix Newbie

Post by wl1193 »

Hi everyone. I will making a two day trip to Loch Leven Lakes off the 80 freeway in two weeks. Anyone have an idea on how bad the mosquitos will be? Thanks
sandersans
Topix Novice

Post by sandersans »

August 3 - Aug 5: Agnew meadows to Lake Ediza, camping at Ediza. 0 Mosquitos along route. 0 at Ediza. Awesome!
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

August 11-19, Mammoth, River Trail, 1000 Island Lake, Clark Lakes, High Trail.

Mosquito Code = 1 No mosquitos seen or found. No DEET.

We did have gnats at Clark Lakes and I wore a citronella bracelet that kept them away from me.
rileySB
Topix Novice

Post by rileySB »

August 13th- spent a night up at Sonora Bridge campground. 0 Mosquitos due to afternoon thunderstorms and showers.
August 14th- spent day/night at Twin Lakes campground outside of Bridgeport. 0 Mosquitos due afternoon thunderstorms and showers.
August 15th- spent day/night travelling down from Bridgeport to June Lake Loop, camped at June Lake campground. Mosquitos= 1 due to warm humid conditions, about 80 degrees with no wind. Applied Herbal Armour and had a citronella candle going, no mosquitos seen but I got bit on the ankle.
August 16th- spent day travelling through Mammoth Lakes basin to Lake Mary, 0 mosquitos, then went up to Rock Creek Lake, 0 mosquitos due to afternoon thunderstorms.
survey2700
Topix Novice

Post by survey2700 »

Any updated mosquito reports for late August or predictions for next month, mid-September on the SHR between Bishop Pass and Devils Postpile?? Thanks.