Trail conditions? - Ediza Lake to Minaret lake

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Trail conditions? - Ediza Lake to Minaret lake

Post by balance »

in 1991 I went Agnew Meadows to Ediza Lake, camped. To Iceberg Lake then Cecile Lake (a very refreshing swim), camped. Then to Minaret Lake and back to the trailhead. Don't know if you'll need crampons, but you'll want to have footwear with good tread. The last 70 feet up to Cecile Lake was pretty steep, hardpacked dirt. Not really climbing, but a slip would have consequences.

Holy smokes. Looking at my log book, was it really that long ago? :nod:

Peace.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

quarter_doc please note:

If you don't have crampons, that would seem to indicate you don't have experience using crampons. If you were to buy crampons, would you then just go out and use them with the price tag still hanging on them? Or would you learn and practice on snow at a recreational area first?

Perhaps even more important: Do you have an ice ax? Have you practiced self arrest? Using crampons without an ice ax is like peanut butter without jelly. You could get in a sticky situation. Well, not exactly. You could get hurt real bad or die. You do not want to get your first practice off-trail in unfamiliar conditions, with rocks or a freezing lake as a possible destination. Although this is a low snow year, being determined to go off trail unprepared at a certain time and place sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Please note: I'm not assuming anything, but asking questions based on the limited amount of information contained in your inquiry. From the implications of your question, I would guess you are not Ed Viesturs.

I'm sure you'll find a suitable trip and have a great time in the Sierra this July. Have you considered the HST meet-up at Wallace Lake? It fits your schedule.

Peace.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Judging from the June 17 picture posted picture, you won't encounter unavoidable snow. Make sure everyone in your group is comfortable with long talus slogs with a full pack--the trail along Iceberg and along Cecile is 100% talus. Also, the route down from Cecile down to Minaret has a 12 foot downclimb and you'll probably want to lower your packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

+1 regarding the 100% talus along Cecile and the east and southeast route along Iceberg.

To avoid the class III route from Cecile to Minaret Lake I took an alternate that was class II (no climbing but some boulder scrambling). The area to the east of Cecile is beautiful and the route was easy to find and appeared to be well used. Here is a map:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Here's a photo from last weekend (thanks Hikin Jim). Looking down on Iceberg Lake from the outlet of Cecile Lake.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Has anyone recently done this loop? Is there still an ice-field between Iceberg & Cecil, or is it now mostly talus/scree?

I might have an extra day or so after the meet-up, and was thinking of a possible quick 1 nighter: Agnew, TI, Marie (camp), TI/Garnet, Iceberg-Cecil-Minaret, Reds.
SammySam
Topix Newbie

Post by SammySam »

I hiked from Ediza to Minaret about 2 weeks ago and there was no snow anywhere along the route
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sam,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for supplying information to a fellow HST member. :thumbsup: 2 weeks ago, that melted out quick.
When you get some time, we would appreciate an intro here, thanks: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org