Let people know (where you're going)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Let people know (where you're going)

Post by whrdafamI? »

I always carry Moto Rola "Talkabout" radios. My experience with them is that the first ones they came out with were the best. Model 250 and 280. The new ones have more bells and whistles and don't work for beans. Just MHO.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

AT,

Any chance you can point us to SAR documentation? Probably best to know exactly how they think to plan an extraction/search. I know the coast guard publishes theirs for mariners.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:AT,

Any chance you can point us to SAR documentation? Probably best to know exactly how they think to plan an extraction/search. I know the coast guard publishes theirs for mariners.
Not sure how much that would help. They all seem to be somewhat different in their approach - there are manuals on how to run Incident Command, how to implement things, but the actual searches are approached with different attitudes and the reasoning of different people.

There are lots of books about SAR - here's one on SAR fundamentals. http://books.google.com/books?id=JWNcKs ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS on the radios - if in the information you leave behind you mention that you have a ham radio, FRS radio, sat phone, etc - you can bet we'd be trying to use it to talk to you.
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

rlown wrote:There's another aspect here that was lightly touched on.. Communications. My group regularly carries "walkie-talkies"...
In this vein, a simple cheap low tech thing worth carrying is a good loud whistle. You can blow one for a lot longer than you can yell, and be heard further.

Mike
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Seems like it'd be nice if the wilderness permit form had all those fields that you mention on it, and one could enter them, regardless of starting point. I only asked about SAR approaches because if someone might be looking for my party, I'd like to know what their general approach might be. I could better position my team, unless dead of course..

When I show up for my permit, they only want my name, and where am I staying each day. And sometimes, those are way off..

two cents, for what it's worth.
wildrose
Topix Novice

Post by wildrose »

I went to a seminar (Search and Rescue 101) last night in my local REI (Saratoga REI). The guy who gave the talk is from Bay Area Mountain Rescue. http://www.bamru.org/bamruinfo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I was surprised that all the SAR people in his group are volunteers and they spent a lots of their own time and money to pay for training and participating in the SAR operations.

He did say, as far as he knows, no SAR charges people for being rescued, and that includes Yosemite SAR program. They only want to charge people if the person being rescued refuse to get out of the wilderness with them. One time that a family reported a group were missing and they went and found the group. But the group were having a good time, they just forgot to tell their family. So the group wanted to stay in the wilderness. He got really upset, and telling them after the SAR had 2 helios and dozens of people searching for them for many hours, they'd have to come out with SAR or they needed to foot the bill of that operation. So those people came out with him. :-)

He's advices:
Know your limit, prepared, leave note to people about where you go when to plan to come back. If lost or hurt, stay calm, stay warm, stay dry and stay put. Don't hesitate for asking help.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

wildrose wrote: He did say, as far as he knows, no SAR charges people for being rescued, and that includes Yosemite SAR program.
Yosemite SAR will charge for medical services provided, and bill your insurance if you have it. And, with our team, if we arrive and the person refuses help, we walk away - we do not threaten to charge them. Otherwise he is correct.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be charged.

We are also called upon to search for missing children and Alzheimers sufferers, and to track felons on the lam in the wilderness.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

AlmostThere,

Thanks for this thread. We usually leave a detailed itinerary. This year, in response to your post, we have added detailed identifying information and a photo. We'll leave it with a family member to email to the forest service if we are more than 24 hours late (a call to the rangers first, of course). With the photo and the info, we'll be much more easily found.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

AlmostThere wrote:
wildrose wrote: He did say, as far as he knows, no SAR charges people for being rescued, and that includes Yosemite SAR program.
Yosemite SAR will charge for medical services provided, and bill your insurance if you have it.
What insurance does the SAR team charge? Health insurance? in the way an ambulance service would?
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Let people know

Post by bheiser1 »

AlmostThere wrote: interesting that Google thinks North Lake is in Yosemite.
Also, apparently Mt Whitney has moved. According to Google it's now located in Yosemite Valley.

It's on this map ... just scroll the map to the left ( errr, move the map to the right, so you can see what's to the left) ...

The JMT is now a day hike :D

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-v ... il-map.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:bear: