Let people know (where you're going) | High Sierra Topix  

Let people know (where you're going)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Re: Let people know (where you're going)

Postby Shhsgirl » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Even though I have a Delorme InReach and will be checking in with them every night, I filled out the Reconn form and left it with our adult children. Stuff happens.

Shhsgirl
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby maverick » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:32 am

Even though I have a Delorme InReach and will be checking in with them every night, I filled out the Reconn form and left it with our adult children. Stuff happens.

:thumbsup:
I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Phil_z » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:55 pm

This is a good thread. Sorry for jumping it as a newbie, but I wanted to add something:

We leave our itinerary with a couple people and an easy to find copy in the car. We always include worst-case scenarios for bailouts, route deviations, cross-country, or foreseeable delays. We also use the absolute drop-dead date for calls to be made, and that number to call if it comes to that. I don't care if my GF or anyone else can decipher a word of it, I write it for SAR to understand, and I leave specific instructions to do nothing more than recite it, verbatum.
Phil_z
Topix Newbie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to Conditions Reports and Information