2011 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS UPDATES

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
papercup
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2011 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS UPDATES

Post by papercup »

Here are two photos-- one is of the snow covering the use trail just below the top of Old Army Pass, the other is of the cornice at the edge of New Army Pass, both taken on 7/8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

Thanks for the pics Papercup. I'm hoping Army melts out a bit more in the next 10 days.
hiker00
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by hiker00 »

mschnaidt wrote:Thanks for the pics Papercup. I'm hoping Army melts out a bit more in the next 10 days.
Yes Thank you for the pics!

I am hoping for the same...hitting the trail on the 25th and don't want to change my plans but will if the snow does not clear on the New Army Pass.
mp88
Topix Novice

Post by mp88 »

Great information & awesome photos, I have been section hiking the PCT for a couple of years now and the time is almost here for my Sierra section (Kearsarge Pass to Reds Meadow) starting 8/10/11. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread and the skeeter report because it looks like it’s a mess out there right now (snow, bugs, high water, etc..). Happy trails and safe travels this summer to all you intrepid human beings not sitting on the couch in front of the TV.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Desolation Wilderness 7/12-7/16

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Route Taken: (7/12 - 7/16) Desolation Wilderness: Echo Lake, Aloha Lake, day trip to Mosquito Pass, PCT north, trail to Half Moon Lake, day hike loop x-country up to intersect PCT, climb Dick's Peak, run ridge to Mt Tallac, down to Gilmore Lake back to Half Moon Lake, x-country directly to Suzie Lake, PCT back to Aloha Lake, side trip to Jabu Lake, Tamarck Lake, Ralston Lake, and back out.

Difficult sections: solid snow from Haypress Meadows onward, steep drifts in trees, very icy early AM, otherwise solid and easy to walk over, PCT south side of Dick's Pass has one huge drift exactly on the trail. Big cornice/drifts on norh slopes above Heather Lake, Susie Lake and north sides of the penninsulas on Aloha Lake. Haypress Meaodow is a swamp. Steep snow on north side of Dick's Peak- so you have to climb a short class 2+ section where the "trail" goes around on the north side.

Special equipment: trekking poles, crampons or yak tracks if you want to go over the snow before the sun hits it. Waterproof boots if you care about dry feet (I do not), large dry campsites hard to come by - ideal conditions for a bivy sack or other small footprint tent. Snow can be difficult if you do not have shoes with aggressive treads. Tennis shoes do not work.

Alternate routes: regular trail to Half Moon Lake is a mess- swampy and lots of steep drifts - you can cut down to the lake from the PCT (before the snow drifts on the PCT) or easy cross country on the northeast side of Susie Lake (stay high on benches).
Last edited by maverick on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject, bold highlight
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted

Agnew Meadow to Yosemite Valley 7/4-7/9

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

July 4-9, 2011
Route: Mammoth to Yosemite Valley via PCT High Trail to 1,000 Island Lake, then JMT to Island Pass, Donohue Pass, Lyell Canyon, Tuolumne Meadows, Cathedral Pass, Long Meadow, Half Dome.

Difficult sections: Route finding difficult for many hikers for miles on snow near/over Island Pass and Cathedral Pass. "Trail" disappears after each storm. Snow was well consolidated in mornings. Some postholing in afternoons, not bad for us. Water crossings a mix of snow bridges, logs, rock hopping and a few wade-thrus. Some of these snow bridges will be collapsing soon. Be careful.

Special equipment: GPS strongly recommended in combination with map and compass. Used MSR Ascent snowshoes over Donohue Pass, per Ranger's insistence - not necessary but they worked well and then we geocached them in Tuolumne Meadows. Also used Microspikes on mild slopes and frozen snow for traction - not necessary either but they reduce slipping. Rocky Gore Tex socks worked great once the boots got soaked. Very nice to put on dry socks under these while your boots dry out. These socks dry very quickly - nice lite luxury item, but expensive.

Awesome trip for my wife and I. Met interesting people including PCT and JMT thru-hikers. Will post pix and slideshow soon.
Last edited by maverick on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted

Re: 2011 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITION Photos - Mammoth to Yo Valley

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

Some Pix from conditions report posted above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HikeSierraNevada on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiseblood
Topix Newbie

Tamarack - El Cap 7/13-7/15

Post by wiseblood »

Tamarack Flat Campground -> El Capitan ... 7/13-7/15

No snow until a quarter-mile from Ribbon Meadow, then patchy, but with easy-to-follow footprints. Ribbon Meadow is boggy, with plenty of mosquitoes. Trail a little hard to follow at Ribbon Meadow, since it's underwater for a bit. Ribbon Creek about 6 inches high. No other snow or stream crossings the rest of the way to El Capitan.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

July 15-16

Route taken:
Penner Lake from Carr/Feely Lake Trailhead
No snow in the parking area, but plenty along Feely Lake and beyond in the trees. Many people headed to Penner.
Trail to Round Lake was difficult to find in the snow.

Difficult section encountered:
None. Lots of snow in the shady areas. Exposed areas are clear. Lakes are ice free.

Special equipment needed/used:
None.

Possible alternative routes:
Suggest going somewhere else or go during mid-week. People are hitting the Grouse Ridge area very hard as it is accessible. Parking lot was full by Friday noon. There were 30 campers at Penner Lake and all but me each had to light an unnecessary campfire. --Too Many! :mad:
Flux
Topix Expert

South Lake to Bishop Pass 7/11-7/14

Post by Flux »

South Lake Trailhead to Bishop Pass 7/11-7/14:

Snow was mostly clear on the trail up to above Spearhead Lake. Above there it was alot of snow and very wet sections of trail. Bishop Pass pretty much covered.

Lakes all clear to Spearhead, above that they were 50-50 with no visible fish activity. Dusy Basin was very patchy and the trail looked 50-50 as well. Lower lakes were open in Dusy:

Some pics from Agassiz:
Dusy

Big Pine Creek

View to the South

Northish overlooking the Bishop Pass Drainage and on to Humphreys at top right

Have much higher res pics that give more detail PM me if interested