2011 Skeeter Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports

Post by gochicagobears! »

Desolation Wilderness 8/6-8/8
Aloha: 3-4 at dawn and throughout the day and evening.
Heather and Susie: zero. Amazing difference going downhill a bit.
hiker97
Topix Novice

Post by hiker97 »

August 5-8 Ansel Adams Wilderness
In the wooded, marshy areas and meadows, even mid-day was a "3". At Ediza Lake, evening and early morning hours were a "4" with mid-morning rising to a "5". The Shadow Creek stretch between Shadow Lake and Ediza varied from 1-2 mid-day to a 3-4 in the evening/early morning hours. Wonderful breezes were blowing through the canyons and along the switchback areas. SJ River crossing to Shadow Lake = 0-1. 10,000' pass south of Garnet Lake down to Garnet = "1" mid-day. With a mosquito head net for evening/morning and diligent application of a 40% deet spray, I was able to hike in shorts and short-sleeved shirt over half the time and have very few bites to show for the 3-day/2-night trip. Skeeters not anywhere near as bad as I was expecting!
norak
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by norak »

Hoover Wilderness, Aug. 4-8. Virginia Lakes TH to Summit Lake, West Lake, East Lake, hike out. I was girding myself for the worst but miraculously, hardly any mosquitoes! None at all at Summit Lake, a few at West and East lakes but pretty anemic and probably completely gone in a few days. They swarmed at a few boggy spots on the trail but I only used repellent once, and the natural kind at that!
http://noraakino.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Convict Canyon on Sun 8/7, bugs near lakes, meadows and in the shade: 3-4. I used Ultrathon (34% deet), and it was ok. They were bouncing off my face after, but not biting. Be sure to apply deet for wading, that's where they got me. The second time I put it on as soon as I took my boots off and they didn't bother me.

We hiked from Laurel Lakes Road to Mt Baldwin, which means 2000' gain at end of hike. I saw the post about the Convict Creek crossing (old bridge crossing, didn't look good), so thats why we went that way.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rams
Topix Acquainted

Post by rams »

The Robinson Creek trail near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) was a 1 until you got to Barney Lake where it was a 3 on the shoreline and a 1 or 2 once the trail started to climb above the lake. The only time I spent at Twin Lakes was getting in and out of my car so I can't really rate conditions there.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Kaiser Wilderness, 8/6-8/7: 1 during the middle of the day except for in swampy areas, 3-4 in swampy areas and in the morning and evening. We brought one of these:

Works wonders on mosquitoes and just silly fun, too. Great for kids, and even adults will admit to using them a bit more enthusiastically than expected.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

At Woods Lk the skeeters were abundant last weekend, but tolerable.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Would that be Woods Lake west of Sawmill Pass? or ?
Bargy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Glen Aulin, Young Lakes

Post by Bargy »

Aug 8-11. Tuolumne to Glen Aulin rated a 2 - we wore Ultrathon deet but no need for headnets. I didn't get any bites, others got maybe 2-3. However Young Lakes was very bad indeed - maybe a 5, having to stay in the tent all day on the zero day. Altitude is making a big difference right
now I guess.
Ron58
Topix Newbie

Post by Ron58 »

Vogelsang High Sierra Camp last Monday/Tuesday was a 5!