2011 Skeeter Reports | High Sierra Topix  

2011 Skeeter Reports

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports

Postby gochicagobears! » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Desolation Wilderness 8/6-8/8
Aloha: 3-4 at dawn and throughout the day and evening.
Heather and Susie: zero. Amazing difference going downhill a bit.

gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby hiker97 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:09 pm

August 5-8 Ansel Adams Wilderness
In the wooded, marshy areas and meadows, even mid-day was a "3". At Ediza Lake, evening and early morning hours were a "4" with mid-morning rising to a "5". The Shadow Creek stretch between Shadow Lake and Ediza varied from 1-2 mid-day to a 3-4 in the evening/early morning hours. Wonderful breezes were blowing through the canyons and along the switchback areas. SJ River crossing to Shadow Lake = 0-1. 10,000' pass south of Garnet Lake down to Garnet = "1" mid-day. With a mosquito head net for evening/morning and diligent application of a 40% deet spray, I was able to hike in shorts and short-sleeved shirt over half the time and have very few bites to show for the 3-day/2-night trip. Skeeters not anywhere near as bad as I was expecting!
hiker97
Topix Novice

Postby norak » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 am

Hoover Wilderness, Aug. 4-8. Virginia Lakes TH to Summit Lake, West Lake, East Lake, hike out. I was girding myself for the worst but miraculously, hardly any mosquitoes! None at all at Summit Lake, a few at West and East lakes but pretty anemic and probably completely gone in a few days. They swarmed at a few boggy spots on the trail but I only used repellent once, and the natural kind at that!
norak
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby Snow Nymph » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:39 am

Convict Canyon on Sun 8/7, bugs near lakes, meadows and in the shade: 3-4. I used Ultrathon (34% deet), and it was ok. They were bouncing off my face after, but not biting. Be sure to apply deet for wading, that's where they got me. The second time I put it on as soon as I took my boots off and they didn't bother me.

We hiked from Laurel Lakes Road to Mt Baldwin, which means 2000' gain at end of hike. I saw the post about the Convict Creek crossing (old bridge crossing, didn't look good), so thats why we went that way.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Postby rams » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:24 pm

The Robinson Creek trail near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) was a 1 until you got to Barney Lake where it was a 3 on the shoreline and a 1 or 2 once the trail started to climb above the lake. The only time I spent at Twin Lakes was getting in and out of my car so I can't really rate conditions there.
rams
Topix Acquainted

Postby windknot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Kaiser Wilderness, 8/6-8/7: 1 during the middle of the day except for in swampy areas, 3-4 in swampy areas and in the morning and evening. We brought one of these:

Works wonders on mosquitoes and just silly fun, too. Great for kids, and even adults will admit to using them a bit more enthusiastically than expected.
A few backcountry fishing pictures: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby East Side Hiker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 am

At Woods Lk the skeeters were abundant last weekend, but tolerable.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Postby richlong8 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:21 am

Would that be Woods Lake west of Sawmill Pass? or ?
richlong8
Topix Expert

Re: Glen Aulin, Young Lakes

Postby Bargy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Aug 8-11. Tuolumne to Glen Aulin rated a 2 - we wore Ultrathon deet but no need for headnets. I didn't get any bites, others got maybe 2-3. However Young Lakes was very bad indeed - maybe a 5, having to stay in the tent all day on the zero day. Altitude is making a big difference right
now I guess.
Bargy
Topix Novice

Postby Ron58 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Vogelsang High Sierra Camp last Monday/Tuesday was a 5!
Ron58
Topix Newbie

Postby Mike McGuire » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:37 am

Bear Creek Diversion Dam to Florence Lake 8/7--8/13
Lower Bear Creek a mile or two from JMT junction, 2
Upper Bear Creek (@ Lake Italy Trail) 3
Sandpiper Lake 3
Marie Lake 4
Sally Keyes Lakes 4 lakeside, up on hill between lakes where I camped 3. That's a great spot for a camp, lot of shaded sandy flat areas. You do have to schlep your water up the hill. Lot of wingeing from people met on the trail about the bugs at S.K., many rating it a 5, but up on the hill it's pretty bearable. Overall, DEET did the job, head net not needed.

Mike
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Postby richlong8 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:48 am

Heading to Duck Pass, Tully Lake area in two weeks. Any mosquito reports would be most appreciated.
richlong8
Topix Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Conditions Reports and Information