2011 Skeeter Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports

Post by scottg1178 »

I got this email from a freind........anyone ever heard of using Listerine against mosquitoes????.........

Email:

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it....Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors.
It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it
cost me $1.89 It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not
as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.
So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood
door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window
frames, and even inside the dog house.
Now these are Good Mosquitos!!!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Memorial Day weekend, Lake Eleanor and beyond....we had a few skeeters at 5500 feet in Miguel Meadows ( rating. 2-3) but higher up there is still too much snow. And when it blew hard, then rained, sleeted, hailed, and snow...the skeeters bailed from Miguel Meadows as well.

So that's the solution--just hike when it is snowing that the skeeters will leave you alone!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Memorial Day weekend, 5/28-31. Leavitt Meadow, Roosevelt, Poore, Kirman- 1, no mosquitoes yet.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

richlong8 wrote:Memorial Day weekend, 5/28-31. Leavitt Meadow, Roosevelt, Poore, Kirman- 1, no mosquitoes yet.
Can you tell me how much snow was around Roosevelt? I am curious. Thank you.

Texan
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

no snow except for a few small patches. I will try and post a trip report by the end of the week.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Bass Lake (3000ft), Memorial Day weekend - 2.5 on Friday afternoon/evening when it was warm. Barely a 1 on Saturday when it got damp and 0 on Sunday when it was raining/hailing/windy
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports (Kings Canyon Memorial Day wknd)

Post by bheiser1 »

In Kings Canyon - Cedar Grove area, and up to just under 6500 ft beyond Mist Falls ... zero! I don't think I saw or heard more than 3 insects all weekend :).
sierrahiker
Topix Newbie

Post by sierrahiker »

Kings Canyon Cedar Groves, Sentinel Camp, Mist Falls, Lower Paradise Valley, Middle Paradise Valley - June 5, 6, 7, 8

Absolutely zero skeeters - even right next to swampy marsh
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

North Fork of American River - Forest Hill Divide (5200)- some small annoying flies, no mosquitoes, river level, north slope terrace (2,000) -a few at dusk-- a dozen or so tiny baby skeets clinging to my tent screen.
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

Carson Pass, Wolf Creek (Carson Iceberg Wilderness) and Ebbetts Pass had no mosquitos. :-({|=