2011 Skeeter Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports

Post by Wandering Daisy »

July 12-16: Desolation Wilderness- Echo Lake, Aloha Lake, Suzie Lk, Half Moon Lake, Dick's Peak, Mt Tallac, Ralston Lake. NO mosquitoes! Some small swarms of gnats. A few flies. Even in outright swamps there were no mosquitoes. Lots of snow and lots of standing water.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Re: Kearsarge; Rae Lakes

Post by Baffman »

quentinc wrote:Not much mosquito activity above 10,500. Rae Lakes had some at 2 p.m. though, which seemed ominous. Will probably be bad by next weekend. Arrowhead Lake (10,300) was bad by late afternoon. None in 60 Lakes Basin, which will be a mosquito mecca in a few weeks.

A mosquito mecca? Great! I'll be there in two weeks, but I'll be ready for the little nasties!

What's new Jim?
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

July 14-17, Emigrant Wilderness, Rosasco Lake, Big Lake, Pingree Lake: 0-1.

Saw some swarms, but they weren't biting much and the breeze kept them away most of the time. I can count the number of bites on one hand. Never needed any DEET. :D
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Zoltan
Topix Acquainted

Post by Zoltan »

July 11-17, Taboose > White Fork > Window Fork > Woods Creek > Pinchot Pass > Taboose.

Had a total of two mosquitoes land on me, and they were sluggish and didn't bite. We were above 10500' most of the time, but even at the 9500 level there were no mosquitoes. Ominous signs on the way out though, many, many stagnant pools, and it looks like the hatch will be any day up high.

Frankly, I couldn't believe my luck. Will post a full TR when time allows.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

July 16-17, Desolation Wilderness (Glen Alpine Creek drainage): MAR = 1 when the wind died down in the marshier areas. Lots of standing water, so expect mosquitoes to get much worse in the next few weeks.
Mtnsummit
Topix Newbie

Post by Mtnsummit »

UPPER TWIN LAKES - KAISER WILDERNESS JULY 14TH-17TH -

I was amazed at how few there were. During the 4 day trip, had a total of 3 bites. Did not ever see any, nor realized had been bit. No bug juice or net needed. Really surprised. Was able to eat all meals outside tent - again never did see any fly around. Probably bit while fishing.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

Cathedral Lake 7/18: 1 (bonus, got to meet markskor)
Lower Sunrise Lake 7/19: 4 freaking hideous in the evening, nasty in the afternoon
JMT/Clouds Rest junction 7/20: 1

Sunrise Lake might have been the most Mosquitos I have ever seen.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

ChinMusic wrote:Lower Sunrise Lake 7/19: 4 freaking hideous in the evening, nasty in the afternoon JMT/Clouds Rest junction 7/20: 1 Sunrise Lake might have been the most Mosquitos I have ever seen.
And so it begins... #-o Mosquito-month started.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MADgenius
Topix Novice

Re: Kern Plateau (Golden Trout) July 16-19

Post by MADgenius »

For the region between 9,000 ft - 11,000 ft bounded by Horseshoe Meadows to north, Olancha Peak to south, Kern Canyon to west, and Sierra Crest to east.

Overall 2 - weather was quite breezy during the day which must've helped as meadows remain green, water plentiful, and cattle absent.

Occasionally 3 - headnet territory near spring sources or wind-sheltered water courses.

For this area, I suspect the peak has already passed.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

MADgenius,

We are considering heading this weekend to the northern part of that area and into Sequoia. How was the smoke from the Lion fire?