High Water

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
tightline
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: High Water

Post by tightline »

A lot of excellent information. Hopefully a lot of people read it, especially for this year. Great info from experienced hikers. I too was unaware that drowning was the #1 cause of death in the back country.

All the discussion re people going down and getting wet while crossing (I've been on trips where it happened -- once we were in a place on a cold rainy day where I could start a fire for the guy that went in--everything was soaked and he was shivering good even with my dry clothing until we got the fire going good), makes me think that it would be a good idea to put a change of clothes in something somewhat waterproof, like a sealed up garbage bag or something if you did go in . If it was a real cold windy day and everything was wet--and if it was late in the day--you could be in trouble. I guess if you were with other people who crossed successfully you'd be ok but if you were alone it could be a tough situation. I've never waterproofed my clothing at questionable crossings but I think I'll start.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Good point. I always take care to safeguard my sleeping bag, so if I fall in the water it won't get wet. I'm not so worried about my clothes, but I'd hate to spend a night in a soggy sleeping bag. Fortunately for us here in the Sierra Nevada, high water tends to occur when our weather is at its best -- long, warm, sunny days that make hiking with wet boots and clothes less uncomfortable. On most days, you'll be dry again in a few hours -- unless you have to cross another high creek!

Mike
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I learned the hard way that going barefoot across is no fun when I did my first week long hike. I did the High Sierra Trail in early June and the Big Arroyo was a roaring ford that was all rocks. I made it safely across but I learned that at least some type of shoes is important. I use the vibram five fingers now. They don't give allot of support to your feet but they grip like frogs feet on the rocks and they tend to keep your feet warm like a wet suit.

I'd add that with log crossings I have always found balance easier if you do side steps across it. Stand with your feet at say a 45 degree angle, move your forward foot well forward then just bring your back one to the front foot. I have seen too many people out on a log shaking because they are doing the slack line method of straight with one foot in front of the other. Also I would not look down more than is necessary to plan your next step. This is because when you look down and your trying to look at the log the moving water underneath you can throw off your sense of balance. I have had this happen many times even when I am in the water and crossing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Drowning is the number one in SEKI.

These stats vary according to which park you are in; for example, drowning is not the number one in a place like Death Valley; it is single-car rollovers. Would you have guessed that?

In the Grand Canyon, it is drowning in the Colorado River; in Glacier NP, it is drowning; in Yellowstone, it is drowning; in Yosemite, it is falling; and in the Great Smoky Mountain NP, it is auto accidents & drowning.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gregw822
Topix Regular

Cross in a group

Post by gregw822 »

I learned this in a white water rescue class. It works best with three. Form a triangle. Each person puts a hand firmly on the shoulder of each of the two partners. As a collective, you have six points of attachment on the bottom, and no more than one foot moves at a time. Works with two face-to-face, but three is much better.

The fly fishers, who use wading staffs regularly, will tell you to keep two out of three points (two boots and a staff) on bottom at all times.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

To add to the list.

Sometimes trails (many in Yosemite do this, with all the rockwork along them) have a stream crossing it (some of the intermittents get pretty high!) -- there will be on some of these a staggered line of rocks clearly meant for rock hopping, variously submerged, slightly upstream of a pool on the upstream side of the trail, and some nice even rocks slightly or partially submerged along the downstream side along the dropoff. The nice even rocks are very tempting but I lectured someone just today out at Hetch Hetchy to take off the socks and wade instead of using anything wet and slippery near a very steep dropoff!
gcj
Topix Acquainted

Post by gcj »

Hi
Lots of great info here!

Something I learned the hard way as a beginner: keep toilet paper in a water-proofed container. I think a 'Zip-Locked' bag seems to work pretty well. I used to carry mine rolled up in a regular plastic food bag; it usually kept most moisture out. On one trip, however, I had a creek crossing mishap and the lower half of my pack became soaked. In camp, I was able to dry out my clothing and sleeping bag but, discovered to my horror that my roll of t-p was soaked to the core tube. :eek: Part of my camping ritual for the next several days was to oh-so-carefully unwind several squares of t-p strips and hang them from my tent and various trees around my camp to dry. I lucked out in that 1) I had enough sunny days before the next rain to dry out an adequate supply for the rest of my trip and 2) I didn't see another soul for several days so I didn't need to explain why my camp looked like I'd insulted a rival High School football team. :)

You should also consider protecting your electronics as well. (Cameras and GPS's) The same mishap that soaked my toilet paper also caused my brand new SLR to be dunked. I was able to open it and dry it out. Incredibly, it continued to work well and I used it for the next several seasons.
-gordon
http://www.highsierrami.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Moving water is always twice as fast and twice as powerful as it looks. It's much better to over-estimate the force than to under-estimate the force.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Hmmm, looks like southern sierra is really warming up, and weather forecasts seem to indicate fairly stable weather patterns for a few weeks. It will be 50 degrees tomorrow at kaweah gap.
mbrown
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by mbrown »

When hiking with a group, the primary 'danger' with high water crossings I have experienced is the pressure which the group can exert on an individual to attempt something that on their own they would not try. I remember crossing where much heated negotiation went on between the
more ambitious versus the more cautious. The group should follow the desires of the most cautious
and if not the individual must follow what their gut is telling them.