High Water

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: High Water

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Cross Country wrote:I wonder if anyone has crossed the river at Upper Paradise Valley.
Isn't there supposed to be a bridge there now? The log sucked.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

This is the kind of year in which bridges get washed out. I wonder?! I hope someone answers this soon. I'm curious. Has anyone been to Upper Paradise yet and seen the river or bridge conditions?
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

The bridge is there at Upper Paradise Valley. No problems with any crossings on the Rae Lakes Loop. I'll post a trip report in a while.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

How support conditions (eg: bridges) have improved over the years (and decades). Good stuff! Thanks ManO.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Last weekend, I spent three days below Carson Pass. We did the Winnemucca Lk trail and back to Woods Lk (the snow field to Round Top Lk and back to Woods Lk didn't interest us). There was still a lot of snow and the creek was pumping. I can only imagine what its like on higher trails. We did have a lot of skeeters, but it was manageable. The sub-alpine is still in early bloom, so it will be in full bloom in a week or so. The alpine bloom will have to wait.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

We dayclimbed Mt Baldwin on Sunday. Normally we would start at Convict Lake, but the bridge crosssing was washed out a few years ago. I saw a photo here, I think, showing the creek on July 10 and it looked gnarly. We took a different route, starting at Laurel Lakes Road (4x4/high clearance required). Good decision going that way!

From the Sierra Wave:

"The Mono County Sheriff Search and Rescue (SAR) Team responded on August 7, 2011, to a request for aid to hikers unable to cross Convict Creek. A father was hiking out of the back country with his two teenage children when they became stranded at the trail crossing of Convict Creek due to deep and swift water. The bridge at this site between steep canyon walls was washed out some years ago, and hikers have been required to ford the creek. A hiker on the downstream side of the creek was asked to get help, and he walked out and called the Sheriff’s Department. The SAR Team was dispatched to the area, and 5 team members with swift water rescue gear staged at the Convict Lake Marina. The group was ferried across Convict Lake by boat and hiked toward the stranded party. Prior to arriving at the location, the family was found on the trail, continuing their walk out, having been assisted across by other people in the area. There were no injuries and the group declined any medical treatment."
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gcj
Topix Acquainted

Post by gcj »

A brief (and incomplete) history of Convict Creek bridges: A photo essay.

1st image shows the confluence of Convict Creek (running across from right center toward the left) and the outlet stream of Genevieve Lake (forground) in Convict Canyon. No bridge. I had to alter my plans from climbing Red Slate and/or Baldwin and opted instead to follow the stream from Genevieve. I enjoyed a lovely camp at Cloverleaf and traversed the summits of Bloody and Laurel to return to the TH.
198207.jpg
I was back two years later in 1984 to climb Baldwin. I was relieved to find a new bridge over the creek, but wait a second...
198409_a.jpg
There seems to be something wrong here...
198409_b.jpg
I'm not 100% sure, but I aways thought this may have been the result of an avalanche. Probably during the previous winter or spring of 1983- one of the heaviest snow packs on record.
198409_c.jpg
Fast forward another year, another trip up Convict Creek. In August, 1985, I found yet another brand new bridge with a very substantial concrete support in the middle.
198508.jpg
Okay! This one's gotta last 100 years or more (I thought). Yup, and the feds and the state will never run out of the money to build these things, right? :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-gordon
http://www.highsierrami.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichardK
Topix Novice

Post by RichardK »

South Fork Big Pine Creek

The log bridge about 1.8 miles up the trail was destroyed over the winter by an avalanche. You can cross at the horse crossing 30 feet downstream of the former bridge. The trail splits and short branches lead to either spot. On Labor Day, the creek was about 18 inches deep in the morning and 2 feet in the afternoon. The water force was strong enough that you needed to concentrate to maintain balance. Everyone we saw on the trail had some sort of water shoes or sandals tied to their packs.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Hey, been awhile.

Any high water this spring?
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Its either high or low. Last year, it was low until the end of the season, then it busted. This year, its sorta the same (late snows). But the flows can't be that high this year as in a normal year. I cant say for sure because I haven't been there and seen it yet.

Why worry about it? Just be cautious and, as usual, and go for it.

Every single year, we have to deal with a different environmental condition. And we generally have a great time.