Snow and Water levels 2011

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snow and Water levels 2011

Post by Mike M. »

As of early afternoon today (Sunday 6/26), the Charlotte Lake sensor is showing 2.4"on the ground, which means that the melt is over at that location for all intents and purposes.

The Blackcap Basin sensor shows the snow depth falling from 69.10" on the 15th to 45.80" today. It is really melting fast.

Good news!

Mike
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

One can get to Charlotte L via the creek without getting above the elevation of the lake. I've been down that creek twice and up it once. I really liked those hikes but you should first know that I didn't take my name (CC) for nothing. I loved going cc. The problem with the route is that you should cross the creek once, normally easy but I don't think one can count on easy until LATE this BP season. Having said all of this I will now express my opinion of Charlotte L. It's very low on my list of places to go. I went there with my two sons because it's very doable for a six year old. I also had heard that there was a nice ranger there (he was -- 1988) We, of course went over Kearsarge Pass. I would never take a six year old up or down that creek.
dharmali
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by dharmali »

Re Charlotte Lake, the DWR real time sensor states that there is .80 inches of snow but 16.80 inches of WC, which I take to mean water content. Anyone riddle me this one? I'm perfectly willing to admit I may not be reading it correctly. Here's the link: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=CRL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

sensors aren't accurate.. conditions affect them. you have to read between the lines. and not trust them.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

Its funny how we remember the great years and the crummy years. But for me, as the years pass, the exact years and conditions fade from my memory until I pull out the slides and try to remember. I wish I kept a journal. I do remember last May/June - the Forks of the Carson were pumping like crazy. And I remember doing the JMT sometime in the 90's, and having trouble with creek crossings in Yosemite (like in Virginia Canyon).

I also remember during the drought during the 80's having no water from Evolution Valley to Courtwright Reservoir, and finally reaching a stock pond. The three of us bellied up next to the cows and just drank right out of the fouled waterhole. None of us got sick, but who knows if the subsequent beer jag helped us through it?

Although I'm a scientist, and have professionally tracked daily river flows in every CA river for many years, I personally don't - my fault - look at data that is available for my recreation. I just move when I have to and accept what is happening at the time.