Snow Travel for the Inexperienced

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
JimJ
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Travel for the Inexperienced

Post by JimJ »

hikerchick395 wrote:I saw nice glissading tracks yesterday near Kearsarge Pass...straight down, crossing switchbacks, ending with a pile of snow against a small pine... :)
Was the small pile of snow in the form of, well, let's say a very broken snowman, mouth frozen agape as in a "now silent scream?"

Oh! Ouch! :eek:
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I hope it was one of those two guys who glissaded through the boot tracks on the north side of Glen Pass. :)
funcrew
Topix Acquainted

Post by funcrew »

I'm a civilian re: this topic, no interest in snow hiking at all. Even so, a couple years ago, in August, I was going over a small 20-foot wide innocent-looking snow patch on an otherwise dry trail and postholed against a rock, taking most of the skin off the front of my leg and wrenching my back. My paranoia level concerning "minor" snow patches is now much more acute.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

And now maybe we will actually have some snow! We've got weather in Calif! YEA!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

funcrew wrote:I was going over a small 20-foot wide innocent-looking snow patch on an otherwise dry trail and postholed against a rock, taking most of the skin off the front of my leg and wrenching my back.
When we crossed Glen Pass last year several days after an early October snow storm, I took off the baskets from my trekking poles to be able to poke through the snow all the way to the the rocks underneath. It was quite useful.

Edit: Since this thread is about safety: I don't recommend going in soon after a significant snowfall covers the terrain. We were ready to retreat if things turned too hard, and we approached the class 1 pass from the worse, northern side. Also there didn't seem to be an avalanche risk.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.