2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
hwy395lvrz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by hwy395lvrz »

SW Yosemite 8/15-8/20 Bridalveil Creek,Chilnualna Lakes,Buena Vista Pass,Royal Arch Lake,Johnson Lake,Crescent Lake,Turner Meadow...
Still lots of wildflowers and moisture in the meadows.Skeets were only bothersome if you stopped for a long period of time.About a 1.5 at the lakes in late afternoon.All in all,not really a negative factor.
kevmc
Topix Novice

Post by kevmc »

Just got back from a trip from tenaya lake to the valley via clouds rest. Skeeters were pretty much a zero. I think I saw maybe 3 or 4 the whole trip. We talked to a ranger at the bottom and she said that backpackers were coming back from that route saying the skeeters were horrible a few weeks ago so we lucked out
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Hoover Wilderness...8/17-8/20....no more than a 0.5 at any time. The only ones I even saw/heard were at the very edge of the water in a meadow. No bites.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Cottonwood Lakes Basin, 8/21 - 8/24

When the wind was out, its a 1. (Duh)

When the wind died down, maybe a few would start buzzing around in the evenings and mornings, a single application of Deet Around sunset was sufficient to prevent much hassle.

Call it a 1.5.

I think I got One bite.
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

8/19-22: Lake Edison to Graveyard Lakes, cross country to Peter Pande/Anne L., then to Wilbur May L. then out over Silver Pass.

It was very warm and sunny the first two days. Skeeterz were a 1.5. Not bad at all and only in shady/wet areas. It was windy the last two days, so no bugs whatsoever.

It looks like the skeeter season is coming to a close. I always enjoy leaving the DEET at home in Sept/Oct.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Looking forward to seeing your TR and those photo's of PP, Annie!
Did you get to Olive?
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

I did not go to Olive.

I did not bring a camera on teh trip, but two in my group did. I am waiting so see what kind of pictures they send to see if they are worthy of posting. If they are not, I will take matters into my own hands for my upcoming trip to Humphrey's Basin and French Canyon.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

cvr wrote:8/19-22: Lake Edison to Graveyard Lakes, cross country to Peter Pande/Anne L., then to Wilbur May L. then out over Silver Pass.

It was very warm and sunny the first two days. Skeeterz were a 1.5. Not bad at all and only in shady/wet areas. It was windy the last two days, so no bugs whatsoever.

It looks like the skeeter season is coming to a close. I always enjoy leaving the DEET at home in Sept/Oct.
My favorite trip in the whole Sierra!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

cvr wrote:...I did not bring a camera on the trip...

The most disheartening words ever uttered... :crybaby:
daniel
Topix Newbie

Post by daniel »

I spent four nights at Rae Lakes last Wednesday through Saturday (August 18-21). Mosquitos came out only at dusk for about an hour and were moderate in number, but enough to warrant a little bit of Ultrathon. Never saw them in morning or during the day.