2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by Cross Country »

Nothing more than a side note to this is that some people aren't "allergic" to what the mosquitos injects into us (an enzyme?) to neutralize our antibodies. I believe it's about 5% of the population. Also it's hereditary. These people neither swell nor itch from the bites. Fortunately for us my sons and I are in this 5%. Mosquitoes still irritated us a lot but we never had to deal with the worst consequences of Mos. bites. As diehard backpackers it was always such an advantage for Mike and me.
jeisz
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by jeisz »

I'm headed up to Seville lake, Lost Lake, Ranger Lake, and Silliman pass in the Kings Canyon / Jennie Lakes area this weekend. Does anyone have an idea what the current mosquito levels are like on this hike? Would you camp at Ranger Lake or up on Silliman Pass?
huts

Post by huts »

Eastern Sierra, I have used Pennyroyal as a repellent. It has a purple flower head and smells minty, grows in rocky/dry areas (hmmm, mosquitoes in wet areas) and has to be rubbed on the skin frequently to be effective.

BTW, Golden Trout Wilderness, Mulkey Meadow, Templeton Meadow - bugs almost a non issue except in shaded, windless, wet locations. July 23-28.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Any reports from the lakes above Twin Lakes?
RLC
Topix Newbie

Post by RLC »

Thanks for all the info on this board. We hiked the JMT from the Meadows to Agnew meadows from the 26th to 29th. Skeeters were pretty much non-existant through Lyell Canyon, got a little worse over Donahue Pass, and were most abundant around Garnet lake, but still no big deal.

We tried the permethrin treatment to clothing, and it seemed to really help. Never used headnets, they just were not that bad. It was a great trip.... Overall skeeter rating= 1. Cheers, Robert
mosquito pharmer
Topix Newbie

Post by mosquito pharmer »

Just got back from duck pass to reds meadow weekend loop 8/1/10. No skeeters at duck lake (10,800 feet), probably a 2 at purple lake (9,800), a definite 4 at the cascade valley (7.500 feet) with very few if any below 7,000 feet at Iva Bell and reds meadow.
ddduong
Topix Novice

Post by ddduong »

7/30-8/1

Thousand Island Lake - 4

We took the River Trail there and spent 2 nights at 1000 Island. They would swarm us during dusk, but were tolerable during the afternoon. They were with us on the majority of the river and high trail but as long as we kept moving they didn't become much of a problem. We brought along 100 deet.
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

Just an FYI which i found kind of interesting recently. I was reading an article by Ralph Cutter pertaining to mosquitos as a trout staple. He claimed that Deet does not become more effective above i believe 34%. So when you apply these heavy heavy deet repelents you are just applying greater amounts of creepy chemical with no added benefit. And given he is the namesake of the Cutter band repelents i think i believe him on this one.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I have read that before but I have also read that the higher the percentage the longer it's effectivness. I don't know how true any of it is but with 100% I can normally go the entire day without having to reapply. I usually need to do a touch-up on my hands and neck.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I to have read that the 33 percent deet was the most effective several years ago, and
have used it ever since with no problems.
The Ultrathon lasts 12 hrs, so you only need to apply once, but to be honest I very
rarely, if ever use it.