2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by windknot »

I'm surprised there are still mosquitoes at Rowell Meadow, but then I guess this is considered to be one of the worst areas for the little buggers in the Sierra. When I was there in late June I didn't see any (one good thing about the late snow melt).

Anyway, I've got a few updates I've been meaning to put on here:

August 28-29, Twin Lakes/Island Lake, Desolation Wilderness. MAR=0, too cold that weekend for mosquitoes.

September 4-5, Highland Lake, Desolation Wilderness. MAR=1, only annoying in the meadow on the way up to Forni, and even then they weren't too bothersome.

September 11-13, Silver Divide area out of Edison, John Muir Wilderness. MAR=0, only saw a couple spread out over three days.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerchick395 »

29 SEP 2010 Mosquitos "2" at Lower Rock Creek and 395. One got in a humongous chomp on my elbow. (Not as bad as the rash from the stinging nettles I brushed against.)

Same day...North Lake "2" Warm temps...another hatch? Got a couple bites, with a few others flying about.

Dang...got chomped on at home last night while I slept too...
teejay
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by teejay »

H.C.
Sounds like you can easily get a job with Cutter Industries as a test subject.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

hikerchick395 wrote:Dang...got chomped on at home last night while I slept too...
Haha, yeah ... right here in the city (SF) I've had that problem a couple times over the past month ... mostly during that short bit of hot weather we had recently...