2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by tim »

At Rancheria Falls, June 18-20 they were definitely a 3 under the trees. The second night we moved a a more exposed site on top of the rocks and the breeze kept them down to barely a 2. On the walk in there were quite a few in shaded/damp spots even during the day. Higher up (Le Conte Point) none at all.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Just got back from 4 days at Hilton Lakes and only saw a couple skeeters the entire trip. No one in our group used any DEET and only a few bites reported. I came home with one bite on my arm. Most of the snow is gone from the lower lakes and there is standing water everywhere so it's just a matter of days before it gets much worse there.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
huts

Post by huts »

Hatch is on in the Bridgeport Valley. Rate a 2-3. Almost nothing during the day when it is warm but becomes pretty heavy at dusk. Have not seen much in the back country yet but have not been there at dawn or dusk.
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

As of 6/22, Horseshoe Meadows / Cottonwood Pass is a 3
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

Horseshoe Meadows, 6/20: about a 2, but somehow they all found me.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Greg maybe it would be useful to have some information and tips about successfully camping and hiking during mosquito season. Something to add below your title post. Every year on several boards I read numbers of posts by those for whom mosquitoes obviously are plaguing. Seems those of us that rarely get bit like this person are always in a small minority. Of course I always see lots of people when I am out there suffering...wrong clothing, wrong choice of campspots, stop wrong spots along trails, don't understand best times of day to hike to avoid squeets, mediocre repellant, the grubby, sweaty, stinky that squeets seek.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

SSSdave wrote:Greg maybe it would be useful to have some information and tips about successfully camping and hiking during mosquito season. Something to add below your title post. Every year on several boards I read numbers of posts by those for whom mosquitoes obviously are plaguing. Seems those of us that rarely get bit like this person are always in a small minority. Of course I always see lots of people when I am out there suffering...wrong clothing, wrong choice of campspots, stop wrong spots along trails, don't understand best times of day to hike to avoid squeets, mediocre repellant, the grubby, sweaty, stinky that squeets seek.
Sounds like a great idea. A more permanent solution might be to add an article into the header page links
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Rowell Meadow, Belle Canyon, Ranger Lakes, 6/23-25, all MAR 1. Still tons of snow up there, which would account for the lack of mosquitoes in this otherwise famously mosquito-infested area.

Matt.
KC4847
Topix Newbie

Post by KC4847 »

Pohono Trail in Yosemite two weeks ago. I'd give the Mosquitoes a 1 even in the forested areas. We camped along the valley rim both nights so I didn't expect many anyway. That said, for the amount of water runoff there were surprisingly few around. Things may be different now though.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Little Lakes Valley to Long Lake Saturday June 26th - no swarms that I saw, rate it 2 - 3, used a combo of herbal repellents and skin so soft and never had one land, was not there at dawn or dusk.