2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rock_snow_sky
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by rock_snow_sky »

Between 8/22 and 8/28 from mineral king over sawtooth, columbine, lost canyon, big and litle five, nine lakes, and blackrock canyon, skeeters were certainly still a nuisance. Some evenings when the breeze stopped perhaps a 3 out of 5. In addition to good site selection, there are 2 products I tried on this trip that I can't speak highly enough about: ex officios insect shield clothing, and smart shield natural repellent. They actually worked - I was blown away. For me, smart shield is a game changer.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the info, mountaineer. I've read some of your past reports from the area and they're definitely encouraging.

Mosquito report: 8/28-29, Island/Twin Lakes, Desolation Wilderness - MAR=0, no mosquitoes at all.
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

About not bringing a camera, I know, I know...We had a few cameras in the group, so I decided I would leave mine in the car. After seeing the others' pics, I will not make that mistake again.

I fished at Graveyard without much luck. There were many packer parties camped at the lake, so we just moved to less travelled area as soon as possible. I caught small-ish fish at Peter Pande (inlet). There seemed to be fewer, but larger fish in Anne. They averaged around 10-11". I mostly fished the outlet area. I really enjoyed my afternoon and early evening there. The 15-20foot cliff jump into the lake from the West side of the penninsula on the northern end of the lake was especially fun and refereshing. There was even an easy place to climb back out of the water. My best fish of the trip came at Wilbur May. It was only 12" or so, but a nice fatty. He's still there waiting for you! :nod:
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

desolation wilderness: labor day weekend.
Maud Lake: 0-1. Mostly in the evening. Didn't seem to be too bad, but had six to seven bites. No deet used.
Doris Lake: 0. Thank god for the wind up there! :)
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Red Mt. Basin Labor Day weekend- 0
budm0318
Topix Newbie

Post by budm0318 »

Silliman Crest loop 9-7 to 9-11; Jennie, Twin, Lost and Seville Lakes = Big 0. Rowell Meadow = 2.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I'm surprised there are still mosquitoes at Rowell Meadow, but then I guess this is considered to be one of the worst areas for the little buggers in the Sierra. When I was there in late June I didn't see any (one good thing about the late snow melt).

Anyway, I've got a few updates I've been meaning to put on here:

August 28-29, Twin Lakes/Island Lake, Desolation Wilderness. MAR=0, too cold that weekend for mosquitoes.

September 4-5, Highland Lake, Desolation Wilderness. MAR=1, only annoying in the meadow on the way up to Forni, and even then they weren't too bothersome.

September 11-13, Silver Divide area out of Edison, John Muir Wilderness. MAR=0, only saw a couple spread out over three days.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

29 SEP 2010 Mosquitos "2" at Lower Rock Creek and 395. One got in a humongous chomp on my elbow. (Not as bad as the rash from the stinging nettles I brushed against.)

Same day...North Lake "2" Warm temps...another hatch? Got a couple bites, with a few others flying about.

Dang...got chomped on at home last night while I slept too...
teejay
Topix Acquainted

Post by teejay »

H.C.
Sounds like you can easily get a job with Cutter Industries as a test subject.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

hikerchick395 wrote:Dang...got chomped on at home last night while I slept too...
Haha, yeah ... right here in the city (SF) I've had that problem a couple times over the past month ... mostly during that short bit of hot weather we had recently...