Current conditions above 11,000’

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Current conditions above 11,000’

Post by narc1370 »

I have some time to take one more quick trip
To the mountains. I pulled a permit for North Lake up to Humphries Basin, etc in one week.

I’m having a hard time finding weather reports for that area. The closest I’ve found is Bishop, but I can pretty much guarantee it won’t be 90 degrees during the day and 45 degrees overnight at 11,000’. Anyone been up there lately with current weather conditions?
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Current conditions above 11,000’

Post by austex »

narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

BOOOM! Thank you!
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra Miguel »

narc1370 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:16 pm I’m having a hard time finding weather reports for that area.
http://weather.gov
NWS models the weather in 1km squares. Click on the map to get an average for any square.

Will the gov't shut down on Friday? Will the forest be open?
terraelise
Topix Novice

Post by terraelise »

Even below 9k a week ago it got below 32 before sunrise (frozen condensation that lasted until the sun finally broke the mountains) and it was a warm weekend in general (the days were actually very sunny and too hot).

Word of caution: everywhere I have been in the Sierra lately is sketchy for water drinking: most all running water sources are dry and lakes are still and stale. I would definitely filter and also look out for signs of toxic algae - I've already seen some at 9k.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Be careful with the weather and your gear. Another early fall storm moving across the northwest next midweek is tentatively forecast to develop minor rain across the range then by Friday drop snow levels down to 6k that is common with such storms. At 11k that equates to sub 20F temps. Humphreys Basin can be unpleasant in any late season storms if windy because it is so exposed to storm SW direction winds.
terraelise
Topix Novice

Post by terraelise »

SW winds will also bring up the smoke from Sequoia fires, which may affect that area more that north-facing valleys like those out of Mammoth and Bishop - checking winds is really reliable for 3-4 days, worth watching forecast frequently leading up to a trip for winds in addition to weather (which will be snow and very cold, as SSSdave said above).