Harmful Algae Blooms In 20 Lakes Basin

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Harmful Algae Blooms In 20 Lakes Basin

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Harmful Algae Blooms detected in Deadman Creek, observed in Hummingbird and Odell Lakes

Recent testing yielded positive results for small amounts of toxic algae in Deadman Creek and visual observations made at Hummingbird and Odell Lakes in the 20 Lakes Basin may indicate toxic algae is also present in these two lakes. Toxic algae may exist in other sites on the forest.

Toxins are concentrated within the algal mats themselves and released episodically into the water when the algae dies or is disturbed.

For your safety, do not enter the water or drink in these areas. Filtering and/or boiling the water is not effective against this type of algae.

Prevent pets from drinking the water and eating or touching algae in the water and dried on the shore. In particular, prevent dogs from eating dried algal mats on shore.
Please report any large algal blooms and/or algae that is particularly bright, bubbly, strange-looking, or appears like a haze in the water.

Do not disturb algal mats in any way. Wading or swimming can cause toxins to be released into the water.

If you suspect a site has toxic algae, do not enter the water and do not drink water from the area. While some sites are signed based on testing results, it’s likely that algae exists in other parts of the forest. Don’t rely on signage alone.

According to the California Water Quality Monitoring Council, the following signs and symptoms may occur within 48 hours of exposure to a waterbody with a suspected or confirmed algal bloom:
• sore throat or congestion;
• coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing;
• red, or itchy skin, or a rash;
• skin blisters or hives;
• earache or irritated eyes;
• diarrhea or vomiting;
• agitation;
• headache; and/or,
• abdominal pain.

If people show symptoms of cyanotoxin and/or cyanobacteria exposure after contact with water, or with scums or mats of algae, they should receive immediate medical attention. Additional resources are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and by contacting the California Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222). See the HAB-related Illness Tracking webpage for information on previously reported human illnesses related to HABs in California.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular

Harmful Algae Blooms In Devils Postpile National Monument

Post by tomba »

Also in Devils Postpile National Monument:
Harmful Algal Blooms
Recent testing yielded positive results for small amounts of toxic algae above and below Rainbow Falls in Devils Postpile National Monument, and toxic algae may exist in other sites in the monument. Toxins are concentrated within the algal mats themselves and released episodically into the water when the algae dies or is disturbed.

What does this mean for me?
  • For your safety, do not enter or drink in the area of Rainbow Falls.
  • Filtering and/or boiling the water is not effective against this type of algae.
  • Prevent pets from drinking the water and eating or touching algae in the water and dried on the shore. In particular, prevent dogs from eating dried algal mats on shore.
  • Please report any large algal blooms and/or algae that is particularly bright, bubbly, strange-looking, or appears like a haze in the water.
  • Do not disturb algal mats in any way. Wading or swimming can cause toxins to be released into the water.
  • If you suspect a site has toxic algae, do not enter the water and do not drink water from the area. While some sites are signed based on testing results, it’s likely that algae exists in other parts of Devils Postpile. Don’t rely on signage alone.
Can I still swim in the river? Can I still filter or treat the water for drinking?
Water that is clear with no visible algae in the area presents a low risk. Even in areas with no visible algae, watch for isolated clumps of algae floating by.

If you think algae may be in the water:
  • Do not enter the water.
  • Do not drink the water, even if treated.
  • Do not let pets into the water, allow them to drink the water, or eat algae on the shore.
What are the signs and symptoms of exposure to toxins from algae?
According to the California Water Quality Monitoring Council, the following signs and symptoms may occur within 48 hours of exposure to a waterbody with a suspected or confirmed algal bloom:
  • sore throat or congestion;
  • coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing;
  • red, or itchy skin, or a rash;
  • skin blisters or hives;
  • earache or irritated eyes;
  • diarrhea or vomiting;
  • agitation;
  • headache; and/or,
  • abdominal pain.
If people show symptoms of cyanotoxin and/or cyanobacteria exposure after contact with water, or with scums or mats of algae, they should receive immediate medical attention. Additional resources are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and by contacting the California Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222). See the HAB-related Illness Tracking webpage for information on previously reported human illnesses related to HABs in California.

Is the National Park Service monitoring for harmful algal blooms?
The park continues monitoring for toxic algae and testing for toxins throughout the park. You can learn more about harmful algal blooms at https://mywaterquality.ca.gov/habs/.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Harmful Algae Blooms In 20 Lakes Basin

Post by wildhiker »

This is very disturbing news. I have been noticing increased algae in high lakes in the last few years, but never thought that they might be a health hazard!
-Phil
terraelise
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by terraelise »

My other note about Weber stands, it looked bad to me - filtering doesn't remove toxins, so just be careful and don't disturb surface growth! I haven't see dead animals nearby or any sickness reports, and I did filter out of the other end of Weber without illness, but only because I really needed water at that point. Just be wary and smart, I don't think you need to be scared - yet. (-: Certainly, it's a disturbing trend and there are many posts from Inyo agencies to long carry / the rangers are starting to get a bit concerned.

Since the lakes are fairly still, making running water rare in extreme dry years like this one, please do filter: people have seen dead animal bits and there was a dive rescue for human remains (not to mention human waste or just humans swimming in it) - you just don't know what is in most still bodies of water. A ranger did express concern that day hikers aren't bringing filtration methods.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I've only been a big water boiler and filterer when backpacking with our boys, but Lizzie does like to use the Steripen. The UC Davis study quoted below would seem to imply that the ultraviolet light filters may be more effective on toxins. Does anybody know about that? Thanks, Ian and Lizzie.
Algae toxins are not removed by standard
water treatments. Disinfection using
chlorine, hypochlorate (bleach) or iodides
have no effect on algae produced toxins.
Backpack filters do not remove these toxins.
... Ultraviolet light has variable
effects, depending on the toxin.
100_4771.JPG
*It has crossed my mind that perhaps a sound strategy would be to replace all Sierra water use with equal amounts of the medicinal brandy-- Grand Marnier, and Jameson Whiskey. Though I have never approved of carrying water, carrying these medicinal fluids in my medical kit is, of course, an entirely different matter. :nod:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

https://hnhu.org/health-topic/blue-gree ... ooms-habs/

Evidently not. Drink carefully and responsibly.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for that link Russ. Some of the key points in the health publication link Russ included in the comment above are the following:
Note: Confirmation of toxins and toxin levels within a bloom cannot be accomplished by visual inspections so samples must be sent to a lab for analysis.

Toxins from blue-green algae cannot be removed by boiling the water or treating it with chlorine or UV light.

What does a Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) look like?
HABs can vary in colour and texture. They can also move up or down through the water column over the course of the day and appear on the surface of the water or below the surface of the water.

To spot a Harmful Algal Bloom, look for water that:

Resembles spilt paint
Is discoloured or has streaks of colour. Most HABs in Lake Erie appear greenish (e.g. green, olive-green, bright green, blue-green) or sometimes black but could also be blue, brown, white, black, red or purple in colour.
Looks slimy or woolly
Has mats, scums or films on the surface
Has clumps or globs floating below the surface

Note: Confirmation of toxins and toxin levels within a bloom cannot be accomplished by visual inspections so samples must be sent to a lab for analysis.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Anyone know if these algae blooms survive winter deep freezes in the mountain lakes/streams? I don't see much in the links that inform whether a generous winter would allow for a fresh, algae-free start in the spring.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

according to google searches with your question, yes.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

tweederjohnson wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:39 am Anyone know if these algae blooms survive winter deep freezes in the mountain lakes/streams? I don't see much in the links that inform whether a generous winter would allow for a fresh, algae-free start in the spring.
That's a good point, will the algae bloom survive the winter. Great question.

Texan