Bear Issues On Rae Lakes Loop

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
sukhoi_584th
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Bear Issues On Rae Lakes Loop

Post by sukhoi_584th »

It's hit or miss. Just got back from Bubbs to Lake Reflection. Spent nights at East Creek camp next to Bubbs crossing, East Lake south end (north end bear box is broken BTW), and Bubbs 1/2 way between Sphinx and Charlotte crossings. Didn't see a single bear. Was even told about multiple bears on the trail as we hiked to 3rd camp and didn't see anything.

Also saw one of the bear rangers on their last day out looking for the bear that smashed the tent and they never found it despite multiple later sightings. Did a double take when I saw a guy hiking around with a 12 ga slung over his shoulder. :D
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by BESON »

Good to know - I'm planning to head there on the 26th and will have a bearikade. Anyone have reports on the creek crossing at the south fork of the kings above paradise valley? I see on the NPS site that the bridge is still out and I'd suspect that with the low water year, crossing would be ok. But I've never been up that area and curious what I'd be in for.
Brian
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

BESON wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:13 pm Anyone have reports on the creek crossing at the south fork of the kings above paradise valley? I see on the NPS site that the bridge is still out and I'd suspect that with the low water year, crossing would be ok. But I've never been up that area and curious what I'd be in for.
we did it last year in early July. crossed in the morning just downstream from the bridge supports. mid to upper calf, pretty easy. there was a group hiking in the river coming down from Muro Blanco around when we were crossing. I suspect this year will be even less memorable.
unreal_ishan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by unreal_ishan »

BESON wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:13 pm Good to know - I'm planning to head there on the 26th and will have a bearikade. Anyone have reports on the creek crossing at the south fork of the kings above paradise valley? I see on the NPS site that the bridge is still out and I'd suspect that with the low water year, crossing would be ok. But I've never been up that area and curious what I'd be in for.
No issues at all - can use tree trunks to cross at Upper Paradise Valley. Did the loop on Jul 4 weekend this year.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

Did a double take when I saw a guy hiking around with a 12 ga slung over his shoulder. :D
I just finished a loop out of Roads End. Wilderness LEO at the trailhead said they shot the bear with rubber bullets a couple weeks ago and haven't had reports of further problems.
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by BESON »

I also recently did the Rae Lakes loop (7.26-30) and saw/heard of no bear issues where I camped (woods creek, upper/lower Rae, sphinx junction). I saw four on the first day, an adult with two cubs near Mist Falls and a lone adult somewhere in the paradise valley area. None were aggressive, though they also weren't really bothered by humans being around ...
Brian
SashatheBear
Topix Novice

Post by SashatheBear »

Any trail reports for recent hikers? Headed out in about 8 days. Wondering about water levels, bear conditions, and smoke. Thanks!