Trip advice: from HST junction, north or south?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip advice: from HST junction, north or south?

Post by aaron_in_sf »

Howdy hey.

So I knew Whitney Portal was closed; just learned that Whitney summit is also closed and rangers are turning folks back at Crabtree. This seems sane.

I have permits for the HST next week and am looking at detours. On paper it seems fairly comparable to go north over Foerester then Kearsarge to exit at Onion Valley; or, south over Guyot then either Cottonwood or New Army to exit near Cottonwood.

I have not been south of Whitney nor in from Onion Valley and am wondering if either one is a no-brainer in terms of what they offer; or, if despite paper comparisons one of the three routes there is significantly more challenging, etc.

One X-factor is if the Inyo fire blows up; no interest in breathing smoke, which makes me inclined to go north all else equal...

But I am interested in the opinion of those who know of what they speak...

aaron
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip advice: from HST junction, north or south?

Post by bobby49 »

Going out over Cottonwood Pass will give you the least challenging route in terms of elevation gain. Note that there may be some long dry stretches.

One year I started the HST, got to Crabtree Camp on Day 4, went up and down Whitney from Crabtree Camp on Day 5, and then left Crabtree Camp and went to Horseshoe Meadow on Day 6.
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted

Post by aaron_in_sf »

I had been hoping to do something like that… til I heard no one was being allowed up Whitney… :/
CeloTX
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CeloTX »

I'm on the same boat. Was scheduled to start the HST on June 28th, summit Whitney on 7/5 and exit Whitney Portal on July 6th. Is there any possibility that this could get cleared up before my exit and they reopen Mt. Whitney summit and the portal?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Yes, there is a possibility. Are you a betting man?
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted

Post by aaron_in_sf »

Celo I have a June 29 start, and was on the same plan (exit July 6) more or less...

After scrutinizing maps and sleeping on, I'm currently thinking of planning on going north to Onion Valley, unless I hear via Garmin text and/or on the ground, that Whitney has been given the all-clear... I haven't been over Forrester or Kearsarge and it seems the safer atm...
CeloTX
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CeloTX »

bobby49 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 am Yes, there is a possibility. Are you a betting man?
Bobby, in a past life i had a gambling problem. Thankfully I've outgrown that but I am willing to gamble on this :D

Aaron, I might be taking a similar detour. Need to look over the details. Thank you for the suggestion.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

the walk from junction meadow over forester and kearsarge is absolutely peerless high sierra stuff. more miles for you, but these are very good miles!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

aaron_in_sf wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:57 am I had been hoping to do something like that… til I heard no one was being allowed up Whitney… :/
I heard that also. I'm not sure what it means. It might mean that backpackers were steered away from continuing eastward from Crabtree Camp. If they intended to summit and then continue eastward, it would put them right smack in the smoke. However, if people are permitted to continue eastward from Crabtree Camp, summit, and then return to Crabtree Camp, then that means something totally different. I might be there in a couple of weeks, and the fire crews may have extinguished the fire by then, so everything may change again.
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted

Post by shtinkypuppie »

How much time do you have, and how adventurous do you feel?

The prettiest on-trail route off the HST, in my opinion, would be to continue north up the Kern river all the way to Lake South America, then wrap around Caltech Peak (take the trail to Tyndall or cut across X-country) and hop over Forester, then go out Kearsarge.

The prettiest off-trail route would be to run southeast up Crabtree Creek past the Crabtree Lakes, over Crabtree Pass through Miter Basin and then down Army pass.

The shortest route would be to continue south from Crabtree to Army or New Army.

None of these will be disappointing.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson