Emigrant Memorial Weekend (end of may)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Mitty88
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Emigrant Memorial Weekend (end of may)

Post by Mitty88 »

Hey all, me and a small group are heading to emigrant wilderness this weekend. Originally we planned on going to Emigrant lake from Kennedy meadows, but am unsure of what summit creek will be like. Does anyone know what crossing that will be like right now or if there are any logs down?

If that is going to be too much, we’ll audible and do Kennedy lake. Any recommendations on day hikes from Kennedy lake as base camp? Also, any recommendations on camping locations near Kennedy lake? Thanks!!
Mitty88
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Emigrant Memorial Weekend (end of may)

Post by Mitty88 »

Side note: I spoke to a ranger about hiking to emigrant lake and the creek conditions aren’t well known, and snow level is ~ 8700
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Mitty88 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:57 pm Side note: I spoke to a ranger about hiking to emigrant lake and the creek conditions aren’t well known, and snow level is ~ 8700
I would be skeptical of that "snow level". This time of year it varies way more with aspect than elevation.

I doubt you'll have trouble crossing Summit Creek that high in the drainage, past Lunch Meadow.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I was up there yesterday on a training hike from Crabtree to Chewing Gum lake. The snow started showing up at about 7800" and by the time I hit 9000' it was about 30% coverage. It all appeared to be from the recent storm and was melting fast.
IMG_2444.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.