McGurk Meadow 2021

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

McGurk Meadow 2021

Post by Bernard »

Hello fellow members of HST
I am remiss to contribute to the forum so will throw some intel on this simple, convenient, and easy hike. My wife and I went there about a week or two ago and found small patches of snow and much of the plant life yet to spring to life. But what I think could be of use to anyone contemplating this destination, especially if they are bringing weekend warrior types or people with limited mobility, is how many large trees have been felled and lay across the trail. Oh, I should add, we hiked beyond the actual meadow itself. It would amaze me to think that this will be "cleaned up" in short order. This is commonplace in the region and there is serious tree-removal work on the 41 south of Wawona (read: delays). I was not in the region during the heavy winds that brought this on but in some places, it's very saddening. Mariposa Grove had 15 trees come down if I read that correctly. It would have been scary to be around. I'll try and post more as my Sierra adventures ramp up for 2021. Sorry, no photos for this one.
Bernard
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: McGurk Meadow 2021

Post by Bernard »

Hopefully it is not too weird to chime-in on one's own post but I thought I would share an update and some images. For starters, I ate my words and by early June, much of the trail was almost miraculously cleared. Countless trees and logs were sawed and/or pulled aside. There's a photo at my blog. I also wish to share a glimpse of what one sees if they follow Bridalveil Creek to just shy of the rim of Yosemite Valley. From the Valley floor, once does not appreciate how crazy the terrain gets. A few images here: https://trouthugger.blogspot.com/2021/0 ... gorge.html
B.
Last edited by Bernard on Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: McGurk Meadow 2021

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the reports and photos Bernard.šŸ‘
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org