Why is 2nd Lake So Low?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
walipriest
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Why is 2nd Lake So Low?

Post by walipriest »

My son & I hiked up the N. Fork Big Pine Creek loop 4/30-5/2, and had a wonderful time. We used snowshoes above 4th lake, and made it up to an overlook above 6th & 7th lakes. 3rd lake was 1/3 iced, 4th-7th completely iced. My question is, what happened to 2nd lake? Every other lake in the basin was full, except for 2nd -at most, it was 1/4 full. Post-hike, I e-mailed the ranger station, and the reply was 'this is a very low snow year'. Then why were the other lakes (above and below 2nd) full? Is some agency working on the 2nd lake dam? The attached pic shows my son on the n. side of the dam.
2nd Lake May 2021.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Why is 2nd Lake So Low?

Post by CAMERONM »

I recall that it has been low other years as well.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Normally they lower the water level in winter, something to do with ice or keeping the water level low for spring melt. Usually it fills up by May with all the snow melt.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
gosia2000
Topix Novice

Post by gosia2000 »

Hi! I don't know why the 2nd Lake is low but I'm heading there for a 3 day trip next week.
Anything I should worry about? Crazy creek crossing cause the bridge fell, crazy mosquitos etc.?
I've never been to the area so I'm so much looking forward to this trip! Thanks
walipriest
Topix Novice

Post by walipriest »

g2K, no problems on the hike up, snow's probably melted a LOT, perhaps allowing you to camp at 5th lake (great views all around). We encountered skeeters near the creek at the start of the hike, but none elsewhere (though I'm sure there'll be an early 'bloom' this year). c9h13no3, thanks for the info -we talked to a camp host at Sage Flat campground after the hike, and he mentioned issues about water flows in the creek (something about the FS wanting higher flows, and eliminating the Lodge's trout ponds), and we wondered if this related to 2nd lake's low level.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

walipriest wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 am c9h13no3, thanks for the info -we talked to a camp host at Sage Flat campground after the hike, and he mentioned issues about water flows in the creek (something about the FS wanting higher flows, and eliminating the Lodge's trout ponds), and we wondered if this related to 2nd lake's low level.
I thought SoCal Edison ran the water level in these ponds, rather than the forest service. I know in various ski guidebooks I have, they mention the water level in South Lake, Agnew Lake, ect. being low (which makes skiing across them harder). I always assumed they were lowered so that they'd be ready to moderate the amount of water they were getting during spring melt, or because they were using the water up in late fall. Normally, folks don't get up there before the peak melt, but this is a weird year.

Course, this year, the spring melt might be a little disappointing...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Whatever the reason I'm pretty sure that it is intentional. Unless the water level was below that of the control valve. I believe that the lake 2 water level is almost always regulated by the gate valve.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gosia2000
Topix Novice

Post by gosia2000 »

walipriest wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 am g2K, no problems on the hike up, snow's probably melted a LOT, perhaps allowing you to camp at 5th lake (great views all around)
Great to hear. It's melting pretty fast based on Sentinel images so I'm hoping to get all the way up to 7th lake!
Either way it will be a fantastic trip.
Thanks for the report.