Mariposa Grove Damage

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mariposa Grove Damage

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
A significant Mono wind event occurred in Yosemite National Park on January 19, 2021. The winds caused damage to facilities throughout the park, but especially in the southern area of the park. In the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, at least 15 mature giant sequoias fell, although it's believed none of the 15 named sequoias fell. Falling trees caused significant damage to the restroom and to the boardwalk.

As heartbreaking as this is for all of us, it is a reminder of the dramatic lives these quiet giants can live. Sometimes standing for 3,000 years or more they are witness to the full range of events that nature has to offer. With a variety of pest-resistant adaptations and resistance to fire, a mature sequoia tree almost always dies from toppling and this rot-resistant wood may lie quietly with us for centuries more.

There is currently no timeline for when the grove will reopen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Mariposa Grove Damage

Post by oleander »

I saw this and wondered if there are any reports of similar wind damage outside Yosemite.