Inyo Campgrounds

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Inyo Campgrounds

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Most campgrounds on the Inyo are closed for the winter, but three campgrounds—Lone Pine, Lower Grays Meadow, and Bitterbrush-- are open under winter operations.

Like everyone, we are watching the blizzard and snow and working with road closures, etc. These campgrounds will re-open when our staff can safely get into these campgrounds.

The USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region canceled the remaining developed campground closures on National Forests.
Regional Order 21-3 closed developed recreation on the Southern California forests-Cleveland, Angeles, San Bernardino, Inyo and Los Padres. This was in alignment with the State's Shelter in Place order, which has been lifted.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Re: Inyo Campgrounds

Post by maiathebee »

Update posted today on what's open this weekend:

Campgrounds open for this weekend
BISHOP, CA April 23, 2021 — It takes a large team effort to get campgrounds open after winter seasonal closures. Recently, Fire, Fuels, and Timber crews with the Inyo National Forest and Bureau of Land Management have been hard at work in mitigating hazard trees in the Lower Lee Vining Canyon campgrounds so that they could be available to visitors by the opening day of fishing season. Lower Lee Vining and Aspen Campgrounds are now open as of today, April 23. Both campgrounds currently offer dry camping (no potable water is available). Moraine Campground still needs portable toilets delivered, so it will not be open just yet (but the hazard trees have been cleared).

Please note that Aspen Campground will temporarily close in May to allow engineers time to get the water system operational for the season. This will mean it won’t be available to camping for up to five days while they prime the system and coordinate water testing to meet State and County water system operation requirements. The Forest will post advance notice of this temporary closure at the campground so campers are aware they will need to move out when the water system work begins.

Mono Lake Ranger District Campgrounds open: Aspen, Lower Lee Vining, Oh Ridge, Silver Lake, June Lake, Gull Lake

White Mountain Ranger District Campgrounds open: Bitterbrush, Four Jeffrey, Cedar Flat Group, Grandview, Convict Lake, French Camp, McGee Creek, Tuff, Big Pine Creek, Big Trees, Bishop Park Group, Forks, Intake 2, Sage Flat, Upper Sage Flat

Mt Whitney Ranger District Campgrounds open: Kennedy Meadows with no services (no toilets, no water, no trash cans, no fee)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Update 5/12

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Onion Valley Campground is now open.
Cottonwood Lakes walk-in, Cottonwood Pass walk-in & Horseshoe Meadows Equestrian Campgrounds are also now open, but with no water & no fees - waiting on a water line repair. The horse stalls are in the process of being set back up in the equestrian site.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

More Inyo Campgrounds Open

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Several campgrounds have recently opened, including North Lake, Sherwin Creek, Mountain Glen, Table Mountain Group, Bishop Park Group, Clyde Group & Palisade Group. For the latest #InyoNF #Campground info visit www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/inyo/recreation and scroll down to recreation conditions report, or click on "recreation" then "camping and cabins" in the left hand column
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

More Inyo Campgrounds Opening 5/28

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
The Mammoth Lakes Basin Road is now open.

Campgrounds in the area opening today include:
Pine Glen
Old Shady Rest
Twin Lakes
Coldwater
Lake Mary
Pine City
Lake George
Also, on the Tioga Pass Road, we are opening these campgrounds today (these four are all first-come, first-served):
Big Bend
Ellery Lake
Tioga Lake
Junction

Check on the status of your favorite recreation site here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/inyo/recreation