Mount Whitney

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mount Whitney

Post by bobby49 »

I've been watching the satellite imagery of the last half-mile of the Mount Whitney Trail before the summit. On some years, there is a big snow patch right at the steep spot. On some years, that can be walked on with boots. On some years, microspikes are very helpful. Seldom is an ice axe needed this late in the summer. From what I can tell, there is virtually no snow left on the trail. Does anybody have evidence to the contrary?
2020hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mount Whitney

Post by 2020hiker »

While I'm not advocating against HighSierraTopix users feedback, http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ is a much more active site for whitney specific conditions. You'll likely find better info there for Mt Whitney
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Mount Whitney

Post by Jim F »

Hi,

I hiked down the Main Mt Whitney Trail from the summit two days ago (Tuesday July 14). Near the summit, maybe a dozen steps were taken in soft snow which will likely be gone in a week. It felt like it was late August on the Mountain.

There were far fewer hikers than normally seen in July, despite the awesome weather.

Some hikers were making an effort to practice COVID 19 precautions. Others apparently did not care.

Enjoy your hike.

Jim