Page 3 of 6

Kearsarge Pass 6/6-6/8

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:21 am
by maverick
Posted on SNCC-TPP by Pamela Heart Nx:
Kearsarge pass June 6-8 no snow travel encountered. No need for snow gear. No mosquitos.

Thousand Is Lake 6/5

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:26 am
by maverick
Posted by Tiare Kirkland on SNCC-TPP:

Bishop Pass 6/6

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:29 am
by maverick
Posted by Ben Banet on SNCC-TPP:
Bishop Pass is at the top of the snowfield in the center of this image. Photo from last Saturday.

Cottonwood Pass - Crabtree Meadow - Crabtree Pass - New Army Pass - Cottonwood Lakes 6/12-6/14

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am
by notis
Route taken:
Cottonwood Pass - Crabtree Meadow - Crabtree Pass - New Army Pass - Cottonwood Lakes

Difficult section encountered:
(1) A couple of snow chutes surrounding the last Crabtree Lake: ~1pm.
(2) The normal route up Crabtree Pass' N side is snow choked; scrambling up granite slopes to the left (N) of the regular chute is fine.
(3) Tedious on-off snow travel in upper Miter Basin with potential for postholing: ~230-5pm.
(4) Sky Blue Lake waterfall outlet snow-choked. Went down the ramps/ledges to its E instead.
(5) Cornice on New Army Pass: ~930am.

Special equipment needed/used:
(1) IMO, ice axe required for the somewhat steep traverses across the snow chutes on the N side of the last Crabtree Lake. A fall would be an extremely cold plunge into the frozen lake! I used one. If you can't guarantee that you'll hit the this snow between ~11a-6p when it's soft and sticky, I would recommend microspikes. It's what your mother would want! I would estimate that this equipment is necessary for at least the next two weeks.
(3) Ice axe made me feel more comfortable on a couple occasions, mostly right after Crabtree Pass proper on its S side. If not hitting this area between 11a-6p when the snow is sticky, microspikes are recommended. Snow encountered in both basins starting around 11,200 feet but is melting fast, making for small prayers with rock-snow-rock transitions.
(5) 25' diagonal bootpack up the NAP cornice. "Axe only" okay if between 930a-6p when snow is softer. Before or after these times, microspikes highly recommended--again, mom would say to bring them. Snow was still semi-hard at 930a; I had to drive my pick in instead of the shaft. Three guys went up without any equipment before recommendations still stand [-(

Possible alternative routes:
I don't think any alternatives are necessary if you follow the above recommendations and know how to use your equipment.

I will get a trip report up ASAP--tried something new this trip by writing each night. In the meantime, please message me with any questions! Be safe!

Mosquito Flat >> Mono Pass >> Mount Starr (6/13/2020)

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:07 pm
by Flamingo
Mosquito Flat Trailhead >> Mono Pass >> Mount Starr

Difficult section encountered on this trip:
Nothing significant. There were cute patches of snow near the top of Mono Pass, but I was fine hiking in my trail running shoes. I carried crampons and ice axe, but used neither.

Special equipment needed/used:
Trekking poles were helpful crossing the snow patches.

Possible alternative routes:
No alternatives seem necessary. The snow conditions feel low for this time of year.

PS -- I'll post a longer trip report ASAP. This climb was part of a longer backpacking trip.

Dusy Basin 6/13

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:33 pm
by maverick
Only included a few of the posters pic's that show the conditions in Dusy Basin.

Posted by Massiel Rodriguez on SNCC-TPP:
Hi everyone - My friend and I spent a night at Dusy Basin this past weekend. Here is a detailed report. We drove up Saturday morning to Bishop and began our hike at 9:30am. We went up Bishop Pass Trail. When we started it was about 50 degrees and clear skies. We hit our first small patches of melting snow on the trail at 11,000’ after we had passed Long Lake. As we continued up towards Saddlerock Lake we had some more very walkable patches of snow. As we hit the switchbacks there was snow along the trail which we walked beside it or on it. At 11,655’ the switchback was completely covered in snow and you had to cross a very sketchy snow chute. Instead what we did was climb up the boulders to the next switchback. I’d say the climb was almost 12-15ft. (I’m assuming this will melt soon). Past that climb the rest of the hike up was easier. We did hit a snow field as we were approaching the pass, but it was easy to walk up it. The pass itself was clear of snow. Crossing over to Dusy Basin was easy. There were still patches of snow you are walking over but nothing major. Parts of the trail are still completely covered but you can just go around the trail. We did lose the trail a few times but easily found it after using my Garmin map. Most of Dusy Basin is clear of snow. With large patches that you can walk around. When the sun was out it was perfect and we had very minimal winds. When the sun was covered in clouds it was very cold. At night it dropped down to 30 degrees, but because it wasn’t windy it was a comfortable cold. I had a 30 degree bag and I took hand warmers with me that I placed inside my bag and that was perfect. We woke up to frosted tents and frost around us. Our waters were not frozen just slightly slushy. The sun was hitting camp by 7:30am and we were able to dry everything up. I hope this is helpful! Enjoy!

Kearsarge Pass / Charlotte Lake /Glen Pass 6/11-6/14

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:00 pm
by maverick
John Powell posted on SNCC-TPP:
Hi all: I just returned from a 4 day out and back from Onion Valley over Kearsarge Pass to Charlotte Lake then off trail north from Charlotte to join the JMT and over Glen Pass. We then went back out over Glen to OV with a stop at Kearsarge Lakes and Matlock Lake under the awe inspiring view of University Peak. Bugs are out, but not mature enough to bite...that will change quickly in the coming days.. Snow this year was a non-issue, except for the north side of Glen Pass that is is still holding snow on the long traverse to the switch backs that are also holding some snow. Good boot track and traction is not needed, hiking poles recommended. Take your time and be safe on the descent as the cuts off-trail on the switchbacks to avoid snow are loose scree or talus (90+minutes to descend for this old guy).

Rae Lakes Loop 6/11-6/15

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 pm
by maverick
Posted by Eric Porter on Alltrails:
We just did the loop June 11-15. There is no need to restate how great this trip is. I just want to update current conditions. Crossing at Paradise Creek is easy just downstream of the old bridge. Glen Pass still has snow. It is passable, but try to get to the main postholes in the snow via the boulders rather than the less developed tracks through the snow.

There are no walk-up permits available.

Twin Lakes-Benson-Smedberg-Tallulah-Ice Lake 6/9-6/15

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 pm
by maverick
Carl Wanderung posted on SNCC-TPP:
2020-06-09 to 2020-06-15: Twin Lakes > Peeler > Rancheria Canyon > Benson > Smedberg (via drainage from PCT) > Sister, Tallulah, Doe > Slide Canyon > Ice Lake (aborted little slide exit) > Mule Pass > Crown Lake > Twin Lakes
No stream crossings were an issue - only potential one might be the crossing as you climb up to Smedberg from Benson (did it early), but you could do a wade in the pool above the rock crossings. All were tips of the boots wet or a straightforward wade where they'd normally be a wade.
Bugs were initially present but clueless - got clued on about mid-trip, then reduced by cold. Oddly present in the large meadow in Slide Canyon despite a few below freezing nights.
Snow wasn't an issue until Mule pass - a few neglible patches on the way to Peeler (we avoided the outlet, easy class 3 scramble above it to avoid a possible collapse), a few neglible patches on the north side of seavy pass, nothing else that was on the trail really.
Mule pass is a bit different - we camped above Ice lake on the last night and were planning on an exit via little slide, but there was enough soft snow in all the gaps between granite fins (often with water flowing beneath) that we decided not to take chances with the tight northward facing decent of the top 3rd. The Yosemite side of Mule was simple - hit solid snow banks (3/4 of trail?) but at 9am at least they were perfect for walking up. The drop on the other side was even simpler UNTIL we got past the meadow with the pool at the end. The trail where it descended to Crown was heavily covered by really weak garbage snow (poles would punch through) above talus. Ended up ignoring the trail for the most part and just routefinding over talus and some of the firmer snow towards the bottom. A few patches on the way to Crown, but nothing impactful once things leveled out. Some boot prints here and there, but they wander a bit and it's not boot packed like the PCT etc. No traction devices were needed or used (poles and boots for sure!) but it requires some routefinding at the moment.
Had an odd transition from the sunny beach at Benson to an inch+ of snow overnight at Talulah, but snowline was just above Slide canyon so it worked out fine - navigating the few cliff bands on the way down to Doe wasn't impacted, and I accidentally found a nicer drop to slide by following the wrong drainage heh. It's still spring!

Pioneer Basin 6/14

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:36 pm
by maverick
Natalie Holt posted on SNCC-TPP:
This is a view of Pioneer Basin from Mono Pass area on 6/14. The basin is in the center of the photo and looks pretty much snow-free.