2020 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2020 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by maverick »

This is not a place to post trip reports, but a place for members to post current conditions experienced in the backcountry on recent trips.
This will give other members considering visiting, or traveling through that same location a heads up on difficult sections, so they can plan accordingly.

Please, do not request information about particular sections of interest that you are about to visit, your post will be deleted.

Please include the area you visited and the dates of your trip in the "Subject section" above!

Copy and Paste this outline below and fill out the info.

Route taken:

Difficult section encountered:

Special equipment needed/used:

Possible alternative routes:

Example:

Subject: Roads End>Rae Lakes>East Lake>Longley Pass>Sphinx Lakes 7/4-7/12

Route: Roads End-Upper Paradise Valley-Rae Lakes-Glen Pass-Junction Meadow-Lake Reflection-Longley Pass-Cinder Col-Sphinx Col-Sphinx Lakes-Roads End

Difficult section encountered on this trip:
- Lost of snow on northern side of Glen Pass icy in the morning hours.
- Bubbs Creek crossing very difficult, found the best crossing point 400 yards west of the usual low water crossing section.
- Big cornice encountered on Longley Pass, which was bypass by climbing rocky section north of the pass (class 3).

Special equipment needed/used:
- Ice Axe
- Crampons
- Trekking Poles

Possible alternative routes:
- When crossing Bubb's, I notice a section about 100 yards further west that looked much easier.
- Should have bypassed the cornice on the southern side, route looked barely class 2.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Winnemucca Lake 6/1

Post by maverick »

Posted by Lori Bellis on SNCC-TPP:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Duck Pass/Barney Lake 5/31

Post by maverick »

Posted by Delaney Davey on SNCC-TPP:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Virginia/Cooney Lakes 5/23

Post by maverick »

Posted by Jennifer Guthrie on SNCC-TPP:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Piute Pass 5/27

Post by maverick »

Posted on SNCC-TPP:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Treasure Lakes 5/23

Post by maverick »

Posted by Tammy Luther on SNCC-TPP:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

20 Lakes Basin 6/2

Post by maverick »

Posted on ESHB by Gaia Marrs:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Crown Valley 6/4

Post by maverick »

Posted by Nick Watts on SNCC-TPP:
Current conditions in western John Muir Wilderness:

All trails from the Crown Valley trailhead area are essentially snow-free except for small patches in shady north facing areas. There are still a lot of really muddy areas and all the meadow sections are very wet. The trail to Spanish Lake wasn't in too bad of shape until very near the lake, when it became a little difficult to follow. The trail from Lake 8632 to Wet Meadow is in need of some serious maintenance, as is the trail from Cow Meadow to the spur trail to Chain Lakes. The trail to the uppermost Chain Lake is followable mainly by cairns. Numerous tree falls on the other nearby trails but fairly easy to follow. Climbed Castle Peak (10,659) without having to deal with much snow. Easy hiking to the summit block which is Class 2-3. Photo is the Sierra Crest taken from Crown Ridge facing southeast.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Sabrina Basin 6/1-6/4

Post by maverick »

Posted by on Raymond Adkins on SNCC-TPP:
Minimal snow on trail. Upper lakes still partially frozen but melting quickly. Mosquitoes not out yet. Saw a few parties at Blue Lake but no one after Blue, just one set of foot prints. Amazing to see this basin so empty.

2020hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2020 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by 2020hiker »

Thanks for the trip report on Sabrina. Headed up that way over July 1 Hoping we get some more snow melt as I attempt north-south lake trip. We'll see.