Desolation Wilderness 5/24/2020

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Desolation Wilderness 5/24/2020

Post by Jim F »

Yesterday (5/24) hiked up Pyramid Peak (9983') in the Desolation Wilderness (El Dorado County) to check out the conditions. Took the Rocky Canyon use trail which begins across the road from a small dirt turnout on Hwy 50 at 5900' and travels 3.5 miles to the summit. There was continuous snow beginning at 8000' until the short rock scramble near the summit (which was easily negotiated by an adventuresome dog named Ike). There were fewer tracks than I had anticipated, perhaps reflecting some recent snowfall in the area. Unlike Ike, I found hiking poles to be helpful. Trail runners worked fine for me.

In the distance Echo Lake had thawed. Directly below Aloha Lake still had some ice. Some lakes were still mostly frozen, but most were not. Many peaks now had just patches of snow near their summits. I would suspect that most major trails below were passable.

Many hikers were encountered and enjoying great weather. Several planning to camp had obtained their wilderness permits online.

One mile up the 50 from the TH, the lot at Twin Bridges (below Horsetail Falls) was open and full. Ten miles down the 50, Sand Flat campground appeared full.

Hopefully Americans can get outdoors this Summer and enjoy so much natural beauty our country has to offer.

Jim

PS- As always, but especially today, thinking our our dead servicemen
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Desolation Wilderness 5/24/2020

Post by paula53 »

Thank you for this trip report. Desolation is one of my favorite places to backpack and hike. I like to walk the TYT at Meeks Bay trailhead. Beautiful lakes with good swimming and fishing. I think it will be snow free in a few days.