Deer Cove Trail Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Deer Cove Trail Conditions

Post by creekfeet »

Thank you all for the info. I guess my new line of thinking is whether it's possible to get from Hume Lake to the Sunset Meadow or Marvin Pass Trailhead. Looking at my map, it seems like there's a gate on the road out of Quail Flat that would be the easiest route over towards Big Meadow Rd., but there appear to be other options for getting over there too.

jm- That's a great question. It feels like a gray area, but I assume it means it's only closed to vehicles. For instance in the winter months, a number of gated Sierra roads and highways become thoroughfares for x-country skiing and snowshoeing. And even if it's technically illegal, it's hard to imagine anyone would bother you let alone find you, as long as you're parking somewhere legal.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

creekfeet wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:06 pm I guess my new line of thinking is whether it's possible to get from Hume Lake to the Sunset Meadow or Marvin Pass Trailhead. Looking at my map, it seems like there's a gate on the road out of Quail Flat that would be the easiest route over towards Big Meadow Rd., but there appear to be other options for getting over there too.
Just park at the closed gate on Big Meadows Road and walk the 13 miles to Marvin Pass.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Just park at the closed gate on Big Meadows Road and walk the 13 miles to Marvin Pass.
Or maybe take a bike, cycle the 13 miles, and stash the bike at the trailhead.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

maverick wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:12 am
Or maybe take a bike, cycle the 13 miles, and stash the bike at the trailhead.
The first part of the Sugarloaf trail is long, dull, and dusty enough without adding another 26 miles of hiking, but it would make for a good workout. I have definitely given some thought to the biking idea, though. My issue is I wanted to take my seven year old on her first backpacking trip, and thought Lost, Ranger, Sheep Camp, etc. would be a great place to start (granted the mosquitoes might make her detest backpacking forever). I thought for my solo trip I'd do Deer Cove up to Swamp and Slide Lakes, but that seems like it might not be so doable given the closures.

But now I'm definitely thinking of changing course and doing the family thing in the Trinities, and heading to the Tablelands from Sunset or Marvin via Crescent Lake. Hell, it might even be fun to just walk to the Giant Forest from there and have the whole front country to myself for a few days. Decisions, decisions...
CarlRaillard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CarlRaillard »

Hello.

With respect to the Marvin Pass trailhead: There's a parcel of private property nearby, which is home to a low-key glamping resort.
https://www.sequoiahighsierracamp.com

Earlier this month I was in contact with one of the people who works there. He told me that they sincerely hope to open their resort, soon.

On their website they say their season shall officially begin June 12. The Marvin Pass trailhead is how visitors gain access to the resort; it's a hike-in establishment.

Sincerely,
Carl Raillard
Fun drawings of wild country.