See the snow in Yosemite!

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

See the snow in Yosemite!

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This is the Sentinel Dome web-cam photo this morning!
sentinel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted

Re: See the snow in Yosemite!

Post by Kelbaker »

I needed that this morning, thank you
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Thanks again for the inspiration to get into the snowy Sierra WD... but how to get to Badger Pass and onward? It is surely one of the most avalanche safe ski tours, leading out to those amazing views from Sentinel Dome to Glacier Point. Are we even allowed anywhere in the Park? Oh well, Bearzy and I also have our eye on Hwy 50, to ski into Lake Aloha in Deso. Good luck out there!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Beautiful. Reminds me a day in Yosemite Valley years ago when our two girls were little. We got to cross-country ski on the valley floor with snow falling on us. Fun times for sure.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Harlen; unfortunately regardless of what is going on with park closure, poor Bearzy would not be allowed in. Seems like if the dog-ban in Yosemite is "justified" as wildlife impact, you would think they would allow dogs in the backcountry in the winter. Hard to stealth with Bearzy- he certainly contrasts with the white snow- BUT, you could dress him in a white doggie coat!

Looks like snow all next week too- should also produce some good web-cam shots. There have also been some fine web-cam shots for Mammoth Ski area and the Bishop web-cam. I guess that is all we can do now- look at the web cams. :(
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

No thanks. I have several feet in my yard and a cranky snowblower that doesn't want to run right.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Wandering Daisy wrote:
...regardless of what is going on with park closure, poor Bearzy would not be allowed in. Seems like if the dog-ban in Yosemite is "justified" as wildlife impact,
Never taken Bearzy on Badger Ridge, but he's welcome in Desolation. I've only been to Lake Aloha once, am I right that there is no avie risk on the way there from *Echo Lakes? We got stuck in a snow storm on the way back, but I don't recall any steep slopes above us.... Just checked the map, and there is one 400' step up, just to the north of Tamarack Lake??
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am no judge of avalanche risk, but my daughter and her family are living in their ski house at Soda Springs (I-80) and working remotely. She called today and showed me (on her phone face time) all the snow outside their windows. They have at least 4-5 feet of new snow. She is not letting the kids play outside today because it is all sliding off the roof (would seriously injure them if they were under the eaves) and the trees are loaded with show and dropping huge heavy chunks all over. Ski areas are closed so no good information there about avalanche risk.

I am a bit confused when you say from Ebbetts Lake to Lake Aloha. Do you mean skiing from Hwy 88 to Hwy 50?
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Pretty sure he meant Echo lakes.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman