Snow information

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Snow information

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just found this website that may be useful. Unfortunately it covers only northern Sierra; Cascades and Rockies have more data coverage. It has lots of options on the menu to the right. If you check all locations you get more states. I like the %median snow by basin where you can select and quickly compare historical years to current.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/wc ... 4&zoom=4.0
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Snow information

Post by TurboHike »

WD,

On the link you provided, you've selected only 34 stations. In the upper left corner, below "quick links", it shows 34. To increase the number, go the panel on the right and click "station inventory". Now scroll down and check all the boxes for SCAN, SNOLITE, Streamflow, Cooperator Snow sensors, etc. Check all of them. You'll get much more information for the Sierra Nevada.

As an example, I zoomed in to Upper Tyndall and it shows a SWE of 11.1 inches as of today. Not very much snow!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just put that option up as an example. I have been mainly using this to look at historical basin conditions in Wyoming so I can relate the date on my older photos with the type of snow year. This helps me plan dates I will do my summer trips this year. I look at the June 1 snowpack, as an indication of the amount of snow I expect in July. If you display the color coded basins, you can see the Sierra, Cascades, and Rockies snowpack each historical year.

Lots of different displays are possible. It is a fun site to play with.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Sorry I misunderstood your post, I thought you were concerned that it showed only Northern Sierra. I agree it is a fun (and useful) site.