Possible Snow Next Week

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
User avatar
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:18 pm
Experience: N/A
Location: Silicon Valley
Contact:

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by SSSdave » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Latest forecasts as of Friday evening 9/27 show rain and snow over the whole range, not just areas to the north. Thus wisdom in staying out of any higher elevations of the range. Although a forecast might state a trivial 2 to 4 inches of snow, I would not count on that as storms have a way of making forecasters wrong especially when systems are unusual as is this late September event.








User avatar
c9h13no3
Topix Expert
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm
Experience: Level 1 Hiker
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by c9h13no3 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:07 am

About an inch of snow on the cars here in Bridgeport, with 108 & 120 both closed. 4 and 88 in chain control.

Had a brief good weather window yesterday. Got snowed on for 10 minutes in the morning, and got down off the hill just as clouds were rolling in.

Spiller canyon is the best, but I hate coming down Horse Creek Pass.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.

User avatar
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:03 am
Experience: N/A
Location: South Lake Tahoe

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by TahoeJeff » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:02 am

c9h13no3 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:07 am
About an inch of snow on the cars here in Bridgeport
About the same, maybe a little less, here in So Tahoe
“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have either one.”

Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
jimbow
Topix Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by jimbow » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:40 pm

OCT 6th i am planning on doing the Benson Lake loop out of bridge port.

I see the back country has a few inches of snow... 7 day weather reports say sun for the rest of the week and the week following when i will be there...

Tentatively i am planning on at least setting out towards Peeler lake - if too much snow for my liking, i will turn around...

Any opinions on whether or not the snow will "Stick" and still be there on Oct 6th??? I could do something further south..

thanks everyone!

Jim W

User avatar
c9h13no3
Topix Expert
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm
Experience: Level 1 Hiker
Location: San Mateo, CA

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by c9h13no3 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:08 pm

This is just a dusting, your trip should be fine. September snow melts off pretty quick.

That said, late season rules apply. Check the weather before you go and have a backup plan. Stay away from trailheads on roads that close (Twin Lakes road is usually open year round). Shorter trips are better, due to weather accuracy and ease of changing plans. And be ready for short days and cold nights.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests