Possible Snow Next Week

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Possible Snow Next Week

Post by SSSdave »

Latest forecasts as of Friday evening 9/27 show rain and snow over the whole range, not just areas to the north. Thus wisdom in staying out of any higher elevations of the range. Although a forecast might state a trivial 2 to 4 inches of snow, I would not count on that as storms have a way of making forecasters wrong especially when systems are unusual as is this late September event.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

About an inch of snow on the cars here in Bridgeport, with 108 & 120 both closed. 4 and 88 in chain control.

Had a brief good weather window yesterday. Got snowed on for 10 minutes in the morning, and got down off the hill just as clouds were rolling in.

Spiller canyon is the best, but I hate coming down Horse Creek Pass.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:07 am About an inch of snow on the cars here in Bridgeport
About the same, maybe a little less, here in So Tahoe
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
jimbow
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jimbow »

OCT 6th i am planning on doing the Benson Lake loop out of bridge port.

I see the back country has a few inches of snow... 7 day weather reports say sun for the rest of the week and the week following when i will be there...

Tentatively i am planning on at least setting out towards Peeler lake - if too much snow for my liking, i will turn around...

Any opinions on whether or not the snow will "Stick" and still be there on Oct 6th??? I could do something further south..

thanks everyone!

Jim W
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

This is just a dusting, your trip should be fine. September snow melts off pretty quick.

That said, late season rules apply. Check the weather before you go and have a backup plan. Stay away from trailheads on roads that close (Twin Lakes road is usually open year round). Shorter trips are better, due to weather accuracy and ease of changing plans. And be ready for short days and cold nights.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.