Condition Request-Cox/North Col and Hopkins Pass 8/13-8/19 2019

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
tahoe23
Topix Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:38 am
Experience: N/A

Condition Request-Cox/North Col and Hopkins Pass 8/13-8/19 2019

Post by tahoe23 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Folks,
I'm going in this Tuesday, picking up permits on Monday, so I need to figure out my route. Basically picking up the SHR at Lake Italy, going North. So over Gabbott Pass, down Mill Creek/2nd Recess, up to Laurel/Grinell and over the Silver Divide and exiting at McGee.

If this were an average snow year, I would enter Mosquito Flat/LLV and go up North/Cox Col. to Lake Italy and exiting I would cross the Silver Divide over Hopkins Pass to McGee trail out.

But this isn't an average snow year. So my alternate plan would be Enter at Pine Creek, over Italy Pass. Then crossing the Silver Divide over Shout of Relief.

I am an experienced cross country traveler, but don't willingly take unnecessary risks. We are not carrying ice axe or crampons, just poles and patience.I have no interest in entering or exiting over Mono Pass (done many times). I am willing to endure talus as a necessary evil to accessing the special places in the High Sierra. I've been watching the weekly satellite images of snow coverage and am fine with traveling over the snow, just not up or down steep sections where a slip or fall could have dangerous consequences.

My questions are:
1) Thoughts or reports on North/Cox Col-ascending East side.
2) Thoughts or reports on Hopkins Pass-descending North side
3) If not Hopkins Pass, Shout of Relief or which other route over the Silver Divide? Quite a few option in this area.

Any helpful input is much appreciated. I'm long overdue for some TRs and promise to post upon my return as I have benefited greatly over the years from all of your info.

Many Thanks.








User avatar
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:38 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Contact:

Re: Condition Request-Cox/North Col and Hopkins Pass 8/13-8/19 2019

Post by ExploreABitMore » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:23 pm

I went over Cox Col this weekend. There is a heavily suncupped snow field near the top that was not softening up very quickly at all. I was glad I brought ice axe and crampons.

Not sure if this link will work, but there is a photo looking down the Col here:

https://www.facebook.com/evan.thomas.14 ... 470&type=3
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/

User avatar
tahoe23
Topix Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:38 am
Experience: N/A

Re: Condition Request-Cox/North Col and Hopkins Pass 8/13-8/19 2019

Post by tahoe23 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks so much for the info. It definitely helps me make the decision to go with Plan B over Italy Pass.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest