Conditions Request - Elizabeth Pass (SEKI)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Conditions Request - Elizabeth Pass (SEKI)

Post by grampy »

I’m doing a loop that includes Elizabeth Pass (N to S) around Aug 16 - with visits to Tamarack Lake and (hopefully) Big Bird Lake. I know conditions can/will change a lot by then; just wondering if anyone has been that way lately. Thanks!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions Request - Elizabeth Pass (SEKI)

Post by cgundersen »

The various folk who were going to Mav's meetup (including, Mav) should be able to give you a heads up; maybe send them a PM. cameron
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

Please share here whatever you hear from them. Heading out on Sat and still up in the air about my route, which ideally is the same as yours I believe. Thanks!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I only made it as far as Lake 11,200 near Big Bird Peak. I have some photos in the direction of Elizabeth Pass. They do not show the actual pass but might give you an idea of what to expect.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19797
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Rockroad -
Thanks! I had previously read (and very much enjoyed) your report, but am going over your photos again. Unless more snow/ice has melted in the last couple weeks, I may defer my wished-for side trip to Big Bird Lake to a future trip. I know that your “it never got steeper than this” photo does NOT apply to Eliz. Pass, but the amounts of visible snow (and lake ice) were informative.

Cameron - yes, I sent a p.m. to a couple folks;
Potatopants - if they find the time to reply I will post here (or at least forward info to you by p.m.).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sorry, but did not get any views of EP, went to the Meetup via Clouds Canyon, exited via Deadman Canyon, but this section did not have views of EP due to the turn of the canyon further south.
Alpinemike and Rogue will have info on that area, until then, I did find a report with two pic's from 7/27, that will give you an idea of the current conditions, hope they help in making your decision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

From my experience in the area the biggest hazard given these two photos is falling thru a snow bridge that is not apparent due to the size of the snowfields. my advice as you hit the snowfield above Upper Ranger is to keep on the east side of Deadman away from the lowest portion of the canyon until you breach the headwall and the flower garden to the east of the headwall where the second photo was taken. you should pick up the trail here until topping the headwall (historically known as Death Falls). Then cross to the west side of the canyon and work your way up to Elizabeth Pass where the suncups could either be helpful or tedious depending on how deep they are. Unless icy the steepness of the n. side of Elizabeth is not particularly challenging. Early afternoon on a normal summer day should make for ok travel without postholing or ice.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

oldranger wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:46 pm ... historically known as Death Falls ...
well, that sounds reassuring :lol:
Seriously though, your detailed description (and things to watch out for) is extremely helpful; I will copy to take with me.
Thank you !

Maverick- thank you.
Yes, I did get helpful info from Alpinemike today (via PM); his input, together with your referenced photos and oldrangers reply leave me with a wealth of info and enough reassurance to stick with my plan.