Skeeters next weekend (8/8-8/12) Tuolumne?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Skeeters next weekend (8/8-8/12) Tuolumne?

Post by acorad »

Hi all!

My family and I are looking at a last minute car camping trip to Yosemite next weekend - 8/8 - 8/12.

Can you give me a sense of how bad the skeeters will likely be at Tuolumne Meadows during those dates?

Would the White Wolf, Yosemite Creek, or Porcupine Flat Campgrounds be any better, do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Andy
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Skeeters next weekend (8/8-8/12) Tuolumne?

Post by c9h13no3 »

acorad wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:24 am Hi all!

My family and I are looking at a last minute car camping trip to Yosemite next weekend - 8/8 - 8/12.

Can you give me a sense of how bad the skeeters will likely be at Tuolumne Meadows during those dates?

Would the White Wolf, Yosemite Creek, or Porcupine Flat Campgrounds be any better, do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Was in Tuolumne Meadows last 2 weekends and they were no big deal in the parking areas & around the store. Anywhere around water, however, and you'll get mosquito attention. I think I'm more used to them than others, and some DEET spray usually allows me to take rest breaks during hikes.

I've never stayed in any of the public campgrounds in the park other than Crane Flat, so I can't comment there. But the campground is called "Yosemite Creek" so I'm betting there's water to spawn mosquitoes there. I usually just crash outside the park in the National Forest.

White Wolf is closed.

It's a good time to climb stuff in Yosemite if you hate mosquitoes. There will be zero skeets on top of North Dome, Mt Hoffman, Mt Dana, Lembert dome, ect. If you go visit a lake, bring the bug spray.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
acorad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Skeeters next weekend (8/8-8/12) Tuolumne?

Post by acorad »

Thanks c9h13no3, I did not know WW is closed!

We will do some hikes, however my wife just had surgery two weeks ago, so nothing too strenuous. Probably find some spots to boulder, and I'll fish.

Andy