Bubbs Creek Crossing at East Creek

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
sierrapam
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bubbs Creek Crossing at East Creek

Post by sierrapam »

I'm planning to do a loop through Sphinx Lakes, crossing over Longley Pass, and also crossing Bubbs Creek at the junction with the East Creek Trail. Was wondering what the conditions are on Longley Pass (getting around the cornice) and at the Bubbs Creek Crossing. I'll be heading out on a solo trip on August 3. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Sierra Pam
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Re: Bubbs Creek Crossing at East Creek

Post by looks easy from here »

I'll be in the same area around the same time and my research does not have me optimistic about crossing Bubbs Creek. I've therefore switched my loop from counterclockwise to clockwise so that I get to the the crossing Day 1 from the north instead of from the south on Day 5. That way if it's impassable (which I expect) I can keep hiking somewhere else fun, instead of being stuck on the far side and having to figure out how to get 30-40 miles back to Roads End before anyone at home panics that I haven't checked in on time.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

sierrapam wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:14 pm I'm planning to do a loop through Sphinx Lakes, crossing over Longley Pass, and also crossing Bubbs Creek at the junction with the East Creek Trail. Was wondering what the conditions are on Longley Pass (getting around the cornice) and at the Bubbs Creek Crossing. I'll be heading out on a solo trip on August 3. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Hi sierrapam. Sierra Club Outings is having a backpack trip over Longley Pass the last week of August. The itinerary mentions a class 3 climb to get around the cornice. I speculate that's accurate. The current satellite image shows the pass is completely covered with snow. With the heatwave we're having some of it will melt the next seven days. But I would expect the pass being snow covered during your trip.
sierrapam
Topix Novice

Post by sierrapam »

Thanks for the info. I may still give Longley Pass a try, but will have the good sense to backtrack if it looks dangerous. Assuming that I make it to Longley Pass, would you like a report when I return? Also, I think the Bubbs Creek Crossing concerns me as much, or maybe more, than Longley Pass. Guessing the creek is still running somewhat high.
Sierra Pam
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

@sierrapam

Of course we would love a trail report of your trip.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
sierrapam
Topix Novice

Post by sierrapam »

Decided to change plans due to the likely conditions on Longley Pass and Bubbs Creek. Managed to snag a permit for Kearsarge Pass where I have more options. So, I won't be able to send you a report on Longley or Bubbs. Sorry!
Sierra Pam
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Post by looks easy from here »

SEKI updated their trail conditions page. In the 7/20 entry for Bubbs Creek they added

"The Bubbs Creek crossing at Junction Meadow is 3-4' deep with very swift flows and recirculating waves. Crossing is not recommended for hikers or stock. For those hikers who are comfortable with cross country travel/navigation and who have experience with crossing knee deep swift water, an alternate crossing point can be found in lower meadows. Extreme caution is advised to all travellers."
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Sierrapam.
sounds like you and I had similar plans-only to tweak them to something similar. I was intending to do a 5 day Roads End/Roads End loop through Sphinx/Longley/East Lake but scrubbed it due to conditions(both the cornice and Bubbs' high levels) I was out that way last week on my shortened three day trip to Kearsarge Lakes from Roads End and back and man was there some water! I took a peak at the crossing just for fun on my way up and it was raging! I posted a trip report in the backpacking section if you want to see a few pics. definitely outside of my comfort zone. I camped down at the lower-lower meadows of Junction Meadow(by the bear box before the Junction drift gate) and even there it sure looked challenging. NPS is correct to advise extreme caution.
enjoy your Onion Valley entry! that'll still be great!
GOPR2770.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Good photo of the creek crossing.