High Sierra Trail 7/5-7/12 Crescent meadow to Whitney Portal

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Trail 7/5-7/12 Crescent meadow to Whitney Portal

Post by AlmostThere »

There are pictures on the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Facebook page of the blown out trail on the HST.

Not anywhere I'll be going any time soon... plenty of equally scenic places with intact trail.
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

Ran into several backpackers at Olmstead Point who had to turn around at the blown out section of trail on the HST and were doing dayhikes up 395 with their remaining time.

They were climbers themselves and said the only people they saw who didn't end up turning around had brought rope and gear to fix a way to cross the missing chunk of trail.

Seems its going to be impassable for a while.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

I just spoke to a SEKI ranger who said some people are making it across while others are turning back. I have a permit for Crescent Meadows on August 10 and am studying the map for a backup plan. Since I'm flying in, my flexibility is limited.

Thoughts on turning back and then heading south toward Redwood Meadow and then on to Little Five Lakes instead, and poking around that area? Or heading north over Elizabeth and back down over Silliman? I've not been in this part of the Sierra before so any insights are appreciated.

My initial plan was HST to Colby Pass to Elizabeth Pass and back to Crescent. At this point the ranger sounded skeptical about how easy the Kern will be to cross en route to Colby.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

potatopants wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:38 pm At this point the ranger sounded skeptical about how easy the Kern will be to cross en route to Colby.
Was the ranger skeptical about that crossing as late as mid-August when your trip is?
potatopants
Topix Acquainted

Post by potatopants »

He said depending on if the weather stays as cool as it has that it's possible mid August could still be a challenge. But I'm hearing word of a heat wave so that could change the picture.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

potatopants wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:38 pm ... Thoughts on turning back and then heading south toward Redwood Meadow and then on to Little Five Lakes instead, and poking around that area? Or heading north over Elizabeth and back down over Silliman? ...
Redwood Meadow is nice - you can camp near a few pretty impressive Sequoias - but heading to Little Five Lakes would take you over Black Rock Pass going BOTH directions, unless you loop through Mineral King. The section of trail that stretches about 2 miles east (up- canyon) from Pinto Lake (on the Cliff Creek Trail) was a bit tricky (in 2017, anyway); well-graded but lots of ankle-rolling talus that was obscured due to the brush overgrowing the trail. I don’t mind talus if I can just see where I’m putting my feet :derp:

I am doing the reverse of your other alternate (Twin Lakes > Silliman Pass > Roaring River > Deadman Canyon > Elizabeth Pass > exit Wolverton (or Crescent Meadow) - with an Aug 13 entry, so will say “hey” if I see you heading out in the opposite direction. My plan includes visits to Lost, Big Bird, and Tamarack Lakes (per helpful suggestion of various HST’ers).
potatopants
Topix Acquainted

Post by potatopants »

Grampy, thanks for the insights! I'll hope to be poking around Big Bid and Tamarack as well.