Early Summer Conditions of Sabrina Basin Trl

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Obsidianpumice
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Early Summer Conditions of Sabrina Basin Trl

Post by Obsidianpumice »

I was curious if anyone has recently been on Sabrina Basin Trail and near the variety of lakes along the trail and if there are any obstacles other than heavy snowpack? How bad is it up there? (On occasion a wrench has been thrown into my sierra plans, such as an extremely fierce stream to cross)

I at least know the road and trail parking is open!

I am an experienced backpacker and intermediate mountaineer with a tendency to "rough it". I have crampons and an ice ax, etc. Plan to head out in a couple of weeks (today is June 23rd). Unpleasantness is no reason to avoid anything. Impossibility or high risk, of course, would be.

How about the surrounding peaks - Darwin, Mendel, etc? Crazy conditions, huh? Only a wacko or pro would attempt summits, eh?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Early Summer Conditions of Sabrina Basin Trl

Post by Jimr »

I'm going up on July 4th weekend. I'll post back conditions.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
C-level
Topix Acquainted

Post by C-level »

I would also be curious on those conditions, I'm heading there sooner, maybe this week 28th, usually go to north or south lake tr therefore have access to pass. That now I'm not sure is accessible ?? If anyone knows information on that would be great. I'm thinking sabrina is a better choice early??
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cycleboy »

Maybe call the boat landing at the lake and see what reports they have from people who've gone up lately? I noticed they haven't updated the "this week's report" section of the website for a few weeks.

www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.com

We'll be up there probably late August.
Obsidianpumice
Topix Novice

Post by Obsidianpumice »

OP here. I did some research and got this intel -

Alltrails.com has a recent entry (dated 6/16/19-6/18/19) indicating knee-to-thigh high, fast water crossings. Blue Lake "90% frozen". Unsurprisingly, sections of snow that make navigating and following the trail somewhat difficult.

Guy at the Boat Landing who I rang up used words "gnarly" and "treacherous" to describe conditions from meltage of snow.

Verdict: likely a bad idea for novice, casual hikers but doable for the more experienced and prepared
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cycleboy »

There's a pic on the boat landing's This Week's Report page of a guy crossing George Creek on the trail and it's basically a low angle waterfall.