big May storms forecast

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

big May storms forecast

Post by SSSdave »

Latest weather forecasts for California this Monday morning show potential for an unusually wet next 10 days across the state including the Sierra. Here in San Jose our annual average rainfall is 15 inches with 1.0 inches in April, 0.6 in May and 0.3 in June. Some models now forecasting an inch by Friday and 2.5 inches by next Tuesday. Storms will be from a mid ocean zonal flow thus above maybe 6.5k snow levels that will melt remaining snow below that while adding to the snow pack above, especially above 9k. Rivers, streams may rise high and valley areas could flood.

Definitely a period to avoid higher areas for you that seem to delight getting out atop old melting winter snows at this early period of spring.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: big May storms forecast

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Murphey's Law of early season 3-day weekends-more often than not has lousy weather for camping and hiking in the High Sierra on Memorial Day. :( I remember several rained-out trips. Once just as we got over to Lee Vining, Tioga Pass was closed so we spent two days in Owens River Gorge until the pass re-opened. And yes, look out for high water!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:01 pm lousy weather for camping and hiking in the High Sierra on Memorial Day
There is a long standing joke here in So Lake Tahoe that it always snows on the tourists on Memorial Day...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

If they'd ever get the road open to Ellery Lake, could make for some sweet late season skiing :)

Here's a pic of Parcher's Resort I stole from their Facebook page. They got a lot of snow recently.
60190866_10156438417643137_5930149886338007040_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

If I wasn't injured stuck home, this would be an excellent opportunity to do some late season fresh snow photography from trails out of Yosemite Valley or with more driving Owens Valley trailheads. Will be a boon for Mammoth powder skiers.

Now into my eighth decade, health the last 6 months has been a seesaw. But no colds or diseases, rather old folks issues. Right foot had plantar fascitis for first time ever, then at the peak of ski season when my mogul skiing was getting amazing, acute diverticulitis, and then last week after tons of hiking during 3 week long road trips chasing desert wildflower blooms, injured at home no less my left wrist opening a gallon plastic juice bottle cap. So am typing with one hand while my left wrist is wrapped in a cold pack and 600mg Ibuprofen went down with my lunch. Had an X-ray today showing no broke bones so soft tissue injury.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

I know what you mean, Dave. I had that plantar fascitis for the first 2 years ago, and fortunately, I recovered in a few months, and it has not reoccurred. I live with chronic annoying lower back issues, and then, here recently, I began to wake up with sore shoulders in the morning. MRI shows a light tear in the rotator cuff, how did it happen? No idea, but I can still dayhike, and hopefully, I will avoid surgery, with physical therapy, and performing as little computer tasks as possible. I will be 64 next month. Some days, I feel every bit of that and more, others, I feel younger. I will just continue to do as much as I can, as long as I can, and throttle down as my body tells me to.
ChapATL
Topix Newbie

Post by ChapATL »

Do you think it would be worth bringing snowshoes to SEKI this weekend?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

ChapATL wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:22 pm Do you think it would be worth bringing snowshoes to SEKI this weekend?
Really broad question, but if your objectives are above 7000 feet in elevation, then yes.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

I think we're looking at some serious snow melt the next couple of weeks.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

rightstar (who's usually right) says:
I think we're looking at some serious snow melt the next couple of weeks.
Damn, Damn, Damn! I guess we ski travelers can reorient ourselves toward ever higher basins, to be explored in a couple of weeks. The High Route in early June? The upper Kern?

carl book 119.JPG

The Upper Kern doesn't look too bad! :)

carl book 110.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue May 14, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.