Rae Lakes Loop Paradise Valley Bridge

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes Loop Paradise Valley Bridge

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not blame the park service for being liability adverse, given people's tendencies to sue nowadays. A Yosemite ranger once discussed the liability issue. Other than environmental regulations (such as having to use a poop tube on a big wall climb and areas closed for bird nesting), regulations are hands-off with respect to rock climbing risks. Once they start to regulate, they become liable. Yosemite has a lot of bridges, most installed before the wilderness designation. SEKI less so. Each of those structures has a liability potential. Once a bridge or zip line is installed, they become liable for any defects that cause injury or death. If you die wading, you knew it was risky and they are not responsible for your bad decision.

I personally do not feel entitled to ANY bridges in the wilderness. That is not saying I do not appreciate a bridge when it exists. There are only a handful of bridges in the Wind Rivers and I simply work around existing conditions when I plan a trip.